Announcement

Collapse

Seven Wiki Available

Please check out our wiki available at:

http://www.californiacaterhamclub.com/wiki7
See more
See less

Gettin

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gettin

    Morgan mailed me this link, which in no way can be me:

    http://dfredman.typepad.com/a360p/20...riumphant.html

    /Magnus F.

  • #2
    Well, such Caterhams are dime a dozen. Could be anybody....

    I would recommend a lowered floor to that driver. The cage is a bit low.
    But then...at least there is a cage, unlike my car.
    Last edited by slomove; May 17, 2011, 05:46 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      This is the third photo where my helmet is poking above the cage.
      I'll look into a lowered floor, or a cage extension.

      Comment


      • #4
        Just grind the top of your helmet down a bit

        Nice blue tape :p


        .
        www.morgansegal.com

        The funny thing is my wife goes " What is that car a Morgan ? " and I said "No that's a Caterham but there is a Morgan driving it " -delise

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mopho View Post
          .....Nice blue tape :p.....
          Magnus, if you are in the mood for some kinky black rubber skirts, I still have some of that adhesive sheet left over see pic. UV resistant 1/16" EPDM rubber. Sorry no latex, though.
          Attached Files

          Comment


          • #6
            I think Randall used some spray on bedliner type material. If you can't find it in a can look at LineX or some firm that does pickups.

            Do the inside too and it's supposed to stop the star cracks caused by stones.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by slomove View Post
              Magnus, if you are in the mood for some kinky black rubber skirts, I still have some of that adhesive sheet left over see pic. UV resistant 1/16" EPDM rubber. Sorry no latex, though.
              Ohh. Yes please!

              /Magnus F.

              Comment


              • #8
                I used "U-Pol Raptor" bedliner spray. It comes in a kit with everything you need except the compressor for about $100. I used it for the bumpers on my jeep, since I had plenty left over and didn't like the look of my aluminum stone guards, I used a tiny bit on the fenders. I think it looks much better and, so far, there are no marks from the many gravel hits.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I looked at the polyurethane bed liners and they are surely up to the job. But having a pro apply it was quoted like $300 with masking. I did not look into the kit but the other advantage of the solid rubber sheet is you can peel it off at will.

                  I wrapped it around the rounded edge of the rear wing because I had had major impact damage there. But that required holding the sheet down with an edge molding and is probably easier to do with the spray coating.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The problem with a lot of those solutions is that they end up looking just as bad if not worse than the original problem. The best fix is to fit CF wings - they take a licking and keep on ticking so to speak.

                    But, of course they're not for everyone. Frankly, the CC CF wing protectors seem to me to be the best compromise for those who just can't part w/ the dough. With your black paint a black bottom of the wing wouldn't necessarily be bad. How much does that shit weigh? :D
                    Chris
                    ------------
                    A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Just get Clearbra put on the fenders
                      www.morgansegal.com

                      The funny thing is my wife goes " What is that car a Morgan ? " and I said "No that's a Caterham but there is a Morgan driving it " -delise

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by moosetestbestanden View Post
                        The problem with a lot of those solutions is that they end up looking just as bad if not worse than the original problem. The best fix is to fit CF wings - they take a licking and keep on ticking so to speak.

                        But, of course they're not for everyone. Frankly, the CC CF wing protectors seem to me to be the best compromise for those who just can't part w/ the dough. With your black paint a black bottom of the wing wouldn't necessarily be bad. How much does that shit weigh? :D
                        The T-Pol stuff weighs practically nothing as applied...far less than the aluminum plates did. And, there is a "tintable" version available, so if you were so inclined, you could color it to match your existing paint.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mopho View Post
                          Just get Clearbra put on the fenders
                          I HAVE Clearbra on the fenders and other painted surfaces. It helps for small rocks, insects and the road grit blasting. But for anything more than pea-size flying pieces the Clearbra is useless.

                          Actually I have already 2 small gouges in the Clearbra above the black rubber sheet. That said, I often drive roads with the Seven most people would not.

                          The Carbon Fiber sheets are quite resilient but I have seen examples on other cars that were pretty beaten up after so many miles. If the car lives only on the track that is probably not an issue, though and I suppose a bit of sanding and clearcoat can make them look nice again.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by slomove View Post
                            I HAVE Clearbra on the fenders and other painted surfaces. It helps for small rocks, insects and the road grit blasting. But for anything more than pea-size flying pieces the Clearbra is useless.

                            Actually I have already 2 small gouges in the Clearbra above the black rubber sheet. That said, I often drive roads with the Seven most people would not.

                            The Carbon Fiber sheets are quite resilient but I have seen examples on other cars that were pretty beaten up after so many miles. If the car lives only on the track that is probably not an issue, though and I suppose a bit of sanding and clearcoat can make them look nice again.

                            Well as Moose pointed out, anything that is going to protect against the bigger stuff is going to look worse than the damage.

                            My CF fenders are certainly beat up after 14k miles, but you have to look close to see it.
                            I have a body shop that says they can refinish all my CF fenders ( I have some water and sun fading damage) for around $600, which is a lot better than replacing them.
                            www.morgansegal.com

                            The funny thing is my wife goes " What is that car a Morgan ? " and I said "No that's a Caterham but there is a Morgan driving it " -delise

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              All of my fenders have LineX under them. 20k miles and no star cracks...and I've followed Gert down some questionable roads!

                              As Moose says, it does make the fenders heavier...and CF would be nice, but this was a very good alternative for me.
                              Tom "ELV15" Jones
                              http://PIErats.com

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X