Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He quit!

http://www.blatchat.com/t.asp?id=202117

So I guess that leaves just me stateside. Cool!
    Chris
    ------------
    A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Well that is bad but probably a sign of the Internet age. Superficial comparisons can be made in a second, not including the quality of the work and I understand Ammo was not quoting details anymore because that is trade secret in itself and can nowadays be spilled immediately.

Skilled tradesmen and innovators will have a difficult time to compete with Google-savvy marketeers.

Comment

Yeah, first RiF passes away, then Freestyle goes under, and now this. The times they are a'changing!
      | | Sean

Comment

It's sad that he will no longer build engines, but the good news is that he will continue to make and develop parts.

I hadn't heard about Freestyle. When did that happen?

-John
        Westfield SEiW
        2.0L Duratec
        Throttle Steer

Comment

What John said, Sean. Did Freestyle make good on everything?

Ammo and I had talked about this more than once over the years so his post on BC came as no surprise to me. He was done w/ getting shopped. He had to move out of Coltec's premises a little over a year ago as they were moving or closing up or some such and I suspect that helped push him along.

End of the era of the cottage Caterham aftermarket supplier? I don't know about that but Sean's right, things are changing. I still intend to bring him over for a mapping session / meet the troops kind of thing, once I get my shit together and install the engine. This summer I hope.
          Chris
          ------------

Comment

All was squared with me before the end. I don't know when they went under, but a virtual acquaintance who lives in the area has confirmed the building is vacant and locked, and nobody seems to be able to reach the proprietor for many weeks now. This was confirmed by another contact over there who dropped in to visit to find the whole complex fenced off and locked up, as a business in one of the neighboring units had suffered a fire.

I am thankful the Raceco silencers are still in production, as everybody seems to think highly of them for lightweight, effective noise reduction (except maybe Gert, who had some cracking issues). I imagine his other parts are quality items as well.

I understand the new owners of Carbon Bits (RiF's old c/f biz) have pulled down the web page, with the intent of launching a newly revised page. I understand most of the parts previously available from RiF should still be available.
            Last edited by Sean; April 25, 2011, 12:02 AM. Reason: added some stuff
            | | Sean

Comment

Originally posted by Sean View Post
              .........(except maybe Gert, who had some cracking issues)...........
              Yes, cracked twice but I have not heard about that happening from others. The caps are spun out paper thin where they are welded to the tube but I may have created the problem myself since I hung the exhaust only on the headers and the rear bracket without something in the middle. The fact that I was driving for a while with shot engine mounts probably did not help. The exhaust was visibly vibrating in idle. I have now added a damper bracket to the inlet of the can.

Comment

My Raceco is mounted the same as Gert's with no center support and it's still going strong after ~25k miles. My exhaust uses springs to connect the secondaries to the rear collector, so perhaps the flex that setup allows has helped?

-John
                Westfield SEiW
                2.0L Duratec
                Throttle Steer

Comment

Mine hasn't even come close to showing any signs of cracking. I put this down to the fact that it's been sitting in the garage, unattached to anything but the shelf it's sitting on since I bought it, what, maybe 5 years ago now. I'm an architect fellas (which means several things, not least of which is that I'm not particularly a man of means), so I'm used to not seeing a project finished for years. And years. And years. Evidently.

I told Ammo I'd make sure he got over once I'm installed and ready to map. He did some one-off cams and stuff and it's 2.1 (over bored) and blah blah blah so his being here may give insight during a session. Now that he's a retired English country squire I'm sure he'll enjoy a trip west. For sure there'll be plenty of warning in case anybody is interested in having a beer and meeting him. He's a very interesting guy.
                  Chris
                  ------------

Comment

I may have purchased the last two Freestyle adjustable front ARBs. Based on the oft-told horror stories and more recent rumors of Freestyle's incipient demise, I found another supplier (7Tips) who sold the units to me last month. Of course being a Freestyle product there were complications and I never did receive all of the bits, but after a couple of tries I got what I needed to complete the installation. The 7 Tips guy (Simon) was very helpful. He told me that the bars are actually fabricated by Arch Motors.

Comment

Working...
                    X