Mr Orange meets Mr Leno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr Orange meets Mr Leno

So I had an assignment to photograph one of Jay Leno's cars for an Australian magazine, it was just a quickie shoot that I was only expecting to be there for like an hour and didn't know if Jay was going to be there or not. I arrived out front a little early and proceeded to wait for the writer to show up (who had just texted me that he was late) when Leno pulled up in an old Buick Convertible and invited me in. Since I had never been to the garage, I had asked Jay if would be alright if I look around while I waited. He then proceeded to give me a personal tour of the garage. When the writer showed up, Leno showed us some more stuff and then took us out for a ride up the street in his golf cart to show us a new building he bought and is expanding into.
    When we got back, he took us over to the car we were doing the story on, a 1963 Chrysler Turbine car. At this point, Jay says, "lets go for a ride" so we all jump in to the Chrysler and he drives us all over town and down the freeway. When we got back, I did the photoshoot and then afterwards he invited us to hang around for lunch, his guys grilled up some burgers.
    After lunch, he fired up a 1907 White Steam car and took us for a drive around Burbank and to Autobooks to go shopping. Of course it was pandemonium on the streets as this car was far from inconspicuous
    Ended up spending most of the day at the garage.

He did really like my car though he kept pointing me towards his Gordon Murray designed Light Car Company Rocket, which is 150hp and 700lbs. I must have inspired him, as I was leaving he fired up the Rocket and went for a drive

Garage is amazing, even better than I expected, much too much to see in one day and the cars were the least of it. Couldn't take pics in the garage though.
    What I really find interesting is how eclectic his taste is and that he likes a little bit of everything. If I was in such a position to have a large collection, I would probably not be interested in owning 90% of the cars he has ( I would have all sports cars and ex-works rally cars), but that was why it was so fun to see because it opened my eyes to other types of cars I would normally not take a second look at.

Last edited by mopho; May 23, 2010, 10:46 PM.
    www.morgansegal.com

The funny thing is my wife goes " What is that car a Morgan ? " and I said "No that's a Caterham but there is a Morgan driving it " -delise

Just another day at the office, eh Morgan? :eek:
    | | Sean

Comment

Holy Bon Jovi!! A Chrysler TURBINE! You were not kidding that it got better - I've read about and been fascinated by the turbine era since I was a kid. THAT was a real "space age" car.

[Slight thread diversion] Years ago I read an article about a Corvette powered by a turbine. The thing idled at 60 mph! ... quick google search ... here you go: http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2009/...d-C3-Corvette/

Sounds like you had a great time with Jay. What an amazing guy to show you around and share his collection with you. I'm mighty impressed!
      Tom "ELV15" Jones
      http://PIErats.com

Comment

Morgan,
        That's just too cool! I'm green with envy... Just down the street from my house, too! However, I think we, as a Sevens enthusiast group, need to convince Jay that he needs a Seven in his collection - probably an SV or CSR if tightness of fit is a concern. I would not hesitate to let Jay have a fit and go in Fred to see if the larger chassis is more to his liking...

Comment

LUCKY DOG!!!

I can't imagine just hanging out with him, talking (and driving) cars

Comment

Yeah, the Turbine car was really cool. Never been much of a fan of American cars, but you have to appreciate the design and the fun details of the car.
            www.morgansegal.com

The funny thing is my wife goes " What is that car a Morgan ? " and I said "No that's a Caterham but there is a Morgan driving it " -delise

Comment

Post more pics?

Will you post more pics (do you have more pics) of Jay's cars?

Comment

They have a no photography policy in the garage for some reason. I may have been able to take pictures, but I didn't ask. I have pictures of the Turbine car but can't post them until it appears in the magazine

If you've never been to the website, you should check out www.jaylenosgarage.com he has pictures and videos of many of his cars

Here is the video of the White Steam car http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/...30-hp/1219612/
                www.morgansegal.com

Comment

Working...
                X