CSR - value in a few years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSR - value in a few years

I'm toying with the idea of getting a CSR rather than going through the expense of putting a duratec in my current car. Especially since it is now sorted out so well with the Zetec. It seems crazy to spend as much as a Nissan GTR or used Porsche turbo on such a simple little car, but I'm addicted to these things. After driving the Caterham, the fun factor just isn't there anymore in other cars.

Any opinions on whether the CSR will hold enough of it's value over the years to help take away some of the pain of the initial investment? It seems that Caterhams in general lose a lot of their value in the first few years, but then hold their value well after that. I'm just looking for reasons to rationalize dropping such a huge amount on what seems like such a simple car!

Thanks as always for all the valuable advice I get from you guys,

Justin

I have not seen (any?) CSR for sale in the US but I guess any specialty car with expensive goodies sees a huge drop in value once built. The current economic climate probably does not help.

But why don't you take advantage of the situation and (at least try to) buy a nicely built used CSR? There ain't many around to start with but if you are not in a hurry who knows what comes up? And why a CSR in the first place? IIRC you are not that big ;-) As proven by Chris, Scott, Tom and Jon a Duratec will fit well in a narrow body Caterham.

Depending on your personal heritage obsession there are obviously other Se7en brands around that can get you to the desired power/weight ratio costing you only the arm and leaving you with the leg.

Gert
    Last edited by slomove; August 1, 2009, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slomove View Post

Depending on your personal heritage obsession there are obviously other Se7en brands around that can get you to the desired power/weight ratio costing you only the arm and leaving you with the leg.

Gert
      Agree on all points and the last one most of all. If an S3 size is sufficient, then a Birkin should definitely be a vaible canidate. I too like the 'new' designed rigidity, but have not been in a CSR to compare it to my SV.
      2002 SV zetec/sierra; yellow over green

Comment

Recently, a new CSR was advertised at Sevens & Elans for a negotiable $69K. It would probably cost that much nowadays for a respectably equipped SV, and I hear a well spec'ed CSR could now cost upwards of $80K. I can't think of another car I would rather have for $60-something K, but at over $80K one could get a barely used GT3-that would be a difficult decision, IMO.
        Brad
        2013 Boss 302 Mustang
        2005 SV Roadsport (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Personally I'd take a good hard look at the new R500 rather than the CSR. You've got the addiction and w/ that car the early onset of upgradeitis is highly unlikely.

W/ a clone you'll likely see retained value problems.

If I were in the market (and wouldn't I love to be) the only Caterham I would buy would be a full-on track car. WooHoo:D
          Chris
          ------------
          A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

The thing about a clone is you'll never spend 80K on it... if you lose twice the value you'll still be out the same amount;)

Comment

Working...
            X