Announcement

Collapse

Seven Wiki Available

Please check out our wiki available at:

http://www.californiacaterhamclub.com/wiki7
See more
See less

I'll drop in a supercharger this weekend.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll drop in a supercharger this weekend.

Tomorrow morning I will order a bolt on supercharger for my good old Zetec.

The product is an Eaton based unit from Jackson racing. Their product page is at:
    http://www.jacksonracing.com/Shop/Vi...eIndexID=33366.

Looking at pictures of it, we are fairly sure that it will fit in my SV.

Today I have approx 160-170 HP at the crank, and should get a 40% increase, which would put me at about 230HP with a nice, flat torque curve. A limited slip is definetly next on the list...

We will install the kit during this weekend and start to develop some basic maps for it. I will post pictures on this site of our progress.

/Magnus F.

Great move, Magnus :!: Sounds like you will have the fastest SV in the land. An SV 500 :idea: 8) Can hardly wait for our next blat. Will you be joining us @ Streets of Willow in April :?: This would be a great place to try out your new toy. And Streets is a perfect course for 7s: twisty and not overly high speed. It could also be considered our first official "club meeting". Any blat plans afoot :?: 8) Brad the Dad

Comment

Magnus: What has inspired this madness :?: Some sort of terminal "mine's bigger" paranoia? A deeper lust for that ultimate SPEED drug? The sight of a monstrous engine being created under the direction of Giles and his merry band of gnomes?

How will you re-program your pectel ecu: on the street or a dyno?

Are you still in contact with Steve Wickham? We should invite him to join us @ Streets of Willow. He still seems to have a soft spot for 7s. Just in case he doesn't get enough fast fun @ TRD!

Brad---who forgot to login

Comment

Brad,

The simple reason for getting a supercharger was that the turbo wouldn't fit without modifying the steering column. What other excuse is needed?

If things go smoothly, we may try to sell the end result to other people as well. Anyone interested can drop me a mail ([email protected]).

While we are at it, adjustable cam pulleys will be installed as well.

We will start off with a conservative map and give it a go on the street. When we are happy with the basic setup, we will dyno it to perfection. The big risk here is knocking, which will break a stock Zetec rod in less than a second under high load.

I'll drop Steve a mail and see what he says.

Giles is thinking about joining as a driver/mechanic. I'll talk some more to him about it during the weekend.

/Magnus F.

Comment

Magnus: Well, what is the verdict on the first SV 500 AmeriKa :?: How difficult was the installation? How many hours? And, any performance :?: Tell us all about it :!: 8)

Comment

Sorry for not getting back earlier.

The car has started with the supercharger in. We had to replace the MAP sensor, and have only run it with the original ECU mapping.

So far I've spent about 10-12 hours working on it.

What is left to do is to get a new set of adjustable pulleys in place, install a 65 mm throttle body on the supercharger (instead of stock), and manufacture a small throttle body adapter to avoid having the body sticking out of the hood.

Then it is the regular cleanup of cables and hoses. We should be on the road at the end of the week. I'll transfer a supercharger map for the Zetec from a Pectel T2 to my T6 unit, which should give me enough to haul my ass down to the dyno for a real setup.

The unit fits very nicely in an SV, but probably not at all in a standard chassis car. On my car, there is about an inch of clearance between the rightmost part of the setup (an alternator support bracket) and the chassis tubing.

A new, two mile long belt is provided with the kit to drive A/C, power steering and all the other crap Real Men don't need. It turned out that the original belt fitted perfectly when the tensioner was moved according to the installation instructions.

A new support bracket must be manufactured and installed between the engine mount bolts and the underside of the supercharger. After some head scratching I took some scrap metal, drilled two holes in it, bent it a bit and installed it. Ugly as hell, but solves the problem.

I have a number of photos documenting the installation that I intend to post on this site. The one where I have sprayed blood all over the place is especially interesting.

It will probably take a day or two before I have time to get them up in the gallery (and do some other minor updates to the site), since I am (as usual) swamped in work.

I'll keep you posted.

/Magnus F.

Comment

Magnus, Sounds like fun. I love practical, seat of the pants engineering solutions. Are you doing the work in Giles facility? Where are you going to dyno? The book on Engine Management by Dave Walker is a very useful read before you go to dyno. It's available @ Amazon. Having said that, you probably ALREADY have the book! Hope you're havin' fun :!: Brad

Comment

Test drive.

Last night Giles, I, a laptop and a lambda probe went for a quick test ride with the Caterham.

Prior to this, I had to redo the belt route since the belt was constantly slipping and smoking on the alternator. Once this was done, we adapted a very conservative map and set the adjustable cam pulleys close to stock.

On the road, the engine was surprisingly driveable with a very even power curve without the turbo rubber band effect. As the SC started to boost, the classic mechanical whining noise/scream was emitted through the throttle body. The car acceleration was impressive, but not brutal since it came on in such a linear fashion. This also saved my rear non LSD'ed tires from spinning wildly.

The next couple of days will be spent figuring out how to setup a larger throttle body (65 mm) and air filter in such a way that I can get the hood back on.

After this I will have a day on the dyno where I (or rather watch when someone else) sets up the overlap and the ECU in an optimal way.

If the injector's duty cycle bottoms out, I'll purchase a larger set of them as well.

More to come.

/Magnus F.

Comment

Working...
                X