X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duratec on Ebay

Found Here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cosworth-2-0...d2f578&vxp=mtr

Usual Disclaimers

Van is swinging by today to pick up the scales.

I'll point him to this one.

/Magnus F.

Comment

I'm tempted to get this setup. What else do I need to convert my current Zetec svt to this? It looks like i still need mounts, headers, exhaust, ecu, bell housing... Anything else?

Although Magnus accidentally spilled the beans & now my wife's watching me like a hawk hah...

Comment

Don't have any more info other than Quicksilver Racing engines told me some were changing back to zetec; I'm guessing for track days.

I think that to changeover, you basically need almost everything. Everything seems to be more expensive for duratecs.

The hot setup might be the newer, small turbo engines.

Wayne with built zetec.

Comment

Originally posted by vstryker View Post
          I'm tempted to get this setup. What else do I need to convert my current Zetec svt to this? It looks like i still need mounts, headers, exhaust, ecu, bell housing... Anything else?

Although Magnus accidentally spilled the beans & now my wife's watching me like a hawk hah...
          You'd probably need an engine management loom to communicate w/ the ECU. Connecting to the remaining stock harness requires soldering 4 wires. And a dry sump would be mo betta than the wet sump.

You'd lose +/- 25 kilos, all of it up front.

The roller barrels can be fiddly, although I believe both Sean and Magnus have them sorted.
          Chris
          ------------
          A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

I have Jenveys, while Sean have roller barrels.

From the top of my head.

Engine mounts.
            Exhaust primaries.
            Exhaust collector, if you cannot reuse the one you have.
            Plumbing for cooling system.
            ECU
            Engine harness seems to be included, but will probably need new connectors for chassis and ECU interface.
            I don't remember if anything was needed to fit the bell housing. Moose?
            Right side hole for header.
            Right side exhaust mount (there are mounting holes on both sides of the car under, just in front of the rear wheel arch, under the skin)
            Clutch.

Anything else?
            Last edited by magnusfeuer; December 1, 2014, 05:04 PM.

Comment

It looks like an R500 spec engine, which means 250hp. The billet crank, allowing you to rev to 8500 rpm, is $2,500.

/Magnus F.

Comment

Originally posted by magnusfeuer View Post
                The billet crank, allowing you to rev to 8500 rpm, is $2,500.
                I think more like $3K+ now, from the U.K. Not sure where to find one in the U.S.?
                Last edited by Sean; December 1, 2014, 05:34 PM.
                | | Sean

Comment

I have Jenveys, while Sean have roller barrels.

From the top of my head.

Engine mounts.
                  Exhaust primaries.
                  Exhaust collector, if you cannot reuse the one you have.
                  Plumbing for cooling system.
                  ECU
                  Engine harness seems to be included, but will probably need new connectors for chassis and ECU interface.
                  I don't remember if anything was needed to fit the bell housing. Moose?
                  Right side hole for header.
                  Right side exhaust mount (there are mounting holes on both sides of the car under, just in front of the rear wheel arch, under the skin)
                  Clutch.

Anything else?
                  The bell housing bolts to the T9 and then to the engine and the Raceline wet sump (the Pace dry sump I have does not have any such provision). Which bell housing depends on the length of the input shaft in the gearbox. See this. Tom hunted around for the right clutch slave actuator and then got 2, one for each of us. I can't remember where. Hopefully he'll be along to remind, but add that bit to the list. It wasn't too much dough.

The harness is a bit of a mystery. No photos included so I won't hazard a guess as to whatever connector it may have or whether it's compatible w/ the ECU that's in the car. So maybe yes and maybe no regarding whether another one would be required. For the record I like my MBE 9A4. 16 bit, live mapping etc. SBD made my engine loom - I'm a plug-n-play kind of guy and what I sourced works great, w/ absolutely no hassle. Info here.

The right side hole is easy. I made a template from the left side and got out the Dremel.

That alternator is waaay too big. Mine's the forklift type w/ a great big pulley. I got the belt from Summit after measuring. It was around 15 bones.

The exhaust fabricator made a bent stainless steel plate to support the exhaust can near the back. He used a long Burns can & his own support strap that anchor to the frame forward of the standard Caterham mount. It's very clean and easy to disassemble / re-assemble. Burns took my engine information and provided a exhaust primary design that works great. I sourced the exhaust flange from these fellas and got one o them thar newfangled gaskets from SBD.

Edit: There are a bunch of pertinent photos on the old 'Check yer sump bolts' thread in Idle Talk, page 10.
                  Last edited by moosetestbestanden; December 2, 2014, 06:51 AM.
                  Chris
                  ------------
                  A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

SBD Motorsports - MBE 9A4: $850
                    Raceline - Bell Housing: $400
                    SBD Motorsports - Duratec wiring harness: $700
                    Raceline - Engine Mounts: $300
                    Raceline - Clutch kit: $300 (Can be had cheaper in the US. Reuses stock flywheel)
                    Caterham - R500 Exhaust primaries: $1000 (probably cheaper to have local fabricator build them)
                    Caterham - R500 Exhaust collector: $365 (Local fabricator may be cheaper)
                    Unknown - Cooling plumbing: ~$200 (Raceline has a kit, but it is for a Duratec radiator that has swapped in- and outlets.)
                    John West - Setup muffler mount on right side: $200
                    Whatever - Alternator: $50
                    Total: Engine cost + $4365.

/Magnus F.

Comment

Still no bids on the engine...

/Magnus F.

Comment

I am not sure a flywheel is included with the engine.

So. Clutch + flywheel can be found here: http://www.fswerks.com/collections/transmission

I run one of their kits in my car. Clutch is heavy as hell, but it works well.

/Magnus F.

Comment

Originally posted by super7guy View Post
                          Don't have any more info other than Quicksilver Racing engines told me some were changing back to zetec; I'm guessing for track days.

Wayne with built zetec.
                          Wayne

Do you know how much power you are getting from your Zetec? Did Quicksilver elaborate on why anyone would switch back? The Duratec should produce a lot more HP and torque.

Comment

I run one of their kits in my car. Clutch is heavy as hell, but it works well.
                            I call bullshit. I have driven your car, and you do not have a clutch; it is just a ON/OFF switch.
                            | | Sean

Comment

What more do you need?

Comment

Working...
                              X