Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, in the market for a Caterham, advice sought

Hello everybody,

I am hoping to realize a 15-year dream this year and purchase one of these wonderful little cars.

I was hoping you could give me some much-needed advice on registering, sorry if any of the questions sound naive.

Can I switch registration to SB100 if I bring in a car from another State that already has a year of construction and registration in that State?

Is there anyway of importing a recently built (2006-2012) Caterham from the UK?

Also, if anybody has a well-sorted SV-bodied car with a performance/track oriented spec in the region of $35-55K, please let me know.

Also, a big thank you to Brad in San Diego who was incredibly helpful to both myself and my stepson in phone calls over the past few months

Originally posted by local-limey View Post
    Hello everybody,

I am hoping to realize a 15-year dream this year and purchase one of these wonderful little cars.

I was hoping you could give me some much-needed advice on registering, sorry if any of the questions sound naive.

Can I switch registration to SB100 if I bring in a car from another State that already has a year of construction and registration in that State?
    Yes, but it can be complicated. Some have done so successfully while others have had a bitch of a time. If the car was "professionally assembled" then the state *may* deny your application.

Is there anyway of importing a recently built (2006-2012) Caterham from the UK?
    I could do a 'yes, but' answer but the short answer is no. Don't even bother thinking about it unless the cars is at least 25 years old.

Also, if anybody has a well-sorted SV-bodied car with a performance/track oriented spec in the region of $35-55K, please let me know.
    Some dude on the wrong coast is selling a car w/ all the good shit on it, but it isn't cheap (rightly, imo). Jon in Colorado is bringing in his last couple of cars, both CSRs, under the old pricing structure. They will require assembly, which in the case of the CSR is not as straight forward as building a S3. The price would be at the top edge of your stated price range. Maybe contact Randy Chase, a former dealer who is now the US importer for Zenos cars. He may know of some. A google will find him.

Others will be along I'm sure regarding SB100. Some have had it easy, others the opposite. Things have changed somewhat since I went through the process. Long and short, if you or someone else not (obviously) compensated build the car and keep the PCV system in place on the engine (I think that's right) you shouldn't have too many issues, provided you mind your Ps and Qs, remain patient w/ the bureau, and pick the right DMV office.

Welcome to the neighborhood, and good luck.
    Last edited by moosetestbestanden; May 16, 2014, 06:51 AM. Reason: English!
    Chris
    ------------
    A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

Thanks very much for the quick response and the information!

Best

Darren

Comment

There was a San Diego car on Ebay a week or two back. Interesting specs with an 270 HP Zetec. Oddly, I don't know the car and can make no representations as to quality or condition.

Comment

You might also want to browse through http://www.usa7s.com/vb/index.php for cars and info.
          Still in the massive grin stage. Damn bugs

Comment

Working...
          X