WIllow Springs May 5/6.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WIllow Springs May 5/6.

I just signed up for both days. Do we get a garage? I think I will skip Desert Inn and try to go for something that does sport the smell of freshly cleaned vomit, as it did last time.

/Magnus F.

I just booked a room at Best Western Antelope Valley Inn for $109/night. Arrive Friday, checkout Sunday.

/Magnus F.

Comment

I'm in.

I just booked a room at Best Western Antelope Valley Inn for $109/night.
      [stuffy british accent ]No no no old fish. All the proper racers stay at Essex House. Cancel that reservation now, and re-book in at a, sniff, proper hotel.[/stuffy british accent]
      Chris
      ------------
      A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

Love to join you, but I will be at Infineon that weekend. Were it not for the distance I would happily come south again. I can't take another day off work at this time. Have fun!

Comment

Since people will be flying in (from Sweden) for our final Magden product push next week and the week after that, I had to cancel Willow Springs. Sorry.

/Magnus F.

Comment

Sorry
            No need to apologize. Besides, I know better. There's no Sveeds coming, you just couldn't get the new motor ready in time.:D

And now, Sung in my very best Italian...

Oooo sooooooloooo mi-oooo:D
            Chris
            ------------

Comment

Working or travelling (5/5 is time to celebrate... I like 5s), and still trying to find my oil leak. Had a fantastic time at Buttonwillow. It was great meeting other people into Se7ens. Once I have my car sorted, I'll be going to every event I possibly can. BTW, there's a kitcar (grrrr)/replica car show at Knotts Berry Farm this weekend (http://www.replicarclub.com/Future/Knotts2007.htm). The new US Westfield distributor would like my car to be at his booth, so I'll be there. Might be building some cars for him... Oil seems to only leak at high revs... hope it's not internal engine damage. Although <2K for a new motor, transmission and clutch is not that hard to swallow. Yea BEC! Hopefully it's just the scavenge pump causing high pressure, and hasn't caused worse problems. The car has a history of oil leaks during high RMP excursions. I'll be at the next one!

~Scott

Comment

All in all a very satisfying weekend. Windy cold Saturday turned just windy. I shook off the Buttonwillow Cold Tire Blues and by the last session was going pretty good. Good enough to get a sign-up to 4 on a check-out ride w/ Mike.

Consequently, I spent the 1st session Sunday playing w/ Stokes (but not for long - he *was* kind enough to show me around for about a lap before checking out) & thereafter hooked up on some (Edit: used) Avon slicks (Thanks Jon!). My times dropped by a full 4 seconds (although to be fair I never really got a clear lap on Saturday), my best just a tick over 1:37. That would have been enough to be 6th overall in a somewhat small time trial group.

4 is terrific. No lining up - you start like a race group, assigned a start number on the basis of your time (iow, Stokes always 1 or 2, along w/ a very fast Evo). Because of this you always have someone slightly (or more) faster car to chase & someone slightly (or more) slower chasing you. Then there are the (really) fast guys, slicing through it all. Wfo passing rules *but* dive-bombing is really frowned upon. Interestingly, the group dynamic is vastly different from the other HPDE groups because most of the participants have been doing it together a while & Greg runs a no-bullshit download, very much like Mike. It's a well organized approach - it meant *lots* of clear track, exactly what I've been looking for. There's no way to get better and more consistent when one is always waiting for a passing zone and that ain't the case now:D

Just to give a sense of it, in the Rabbit Ear (2) I'm feathering the throttle somewhat buzzily (Aussie Upside-Down English) in 3rd at about 85mph+/- on the edge of traction. Stokes flies by, flat in 4th (he says), on the very same edge (but w/ very, very sticky tires on different car). Multiply that most of the way around (I can hold my own in the slower, flowing & verrry fun 3-4-5-6 complex) and you have his 1:27 n change against my 1:37 (nearly) dead. Gents, he most certainly is hooked up on tracks he knows.

I really like Willow Springs because it is so fast. But like I said before, I need More Power:D
                Last edited by moosetestbestanden; May 6, 2007, 09:38 PM.
                Chris
                ------------

Comment

Chris,

Great to hear that you had a good experience. It's doubly satisfying to hear your enthusiastic endorsement of Group 4. I recall a certain antipodean Sevener has been pushing you to get your a*s into Group 4 for a while. Toldyaso!

Comment

I recall a certain antipodean Sevener has been pushing you to get your a*s into Group 4 for a while.
                    Yes I know. But I had to pay my dues. Getting signed up isn't as easy as it used to be evidently. It was explained to me that they've tightened it up. It's essentially all TT - they want a transponder on the car so that the seeding system I described can be properly implemented. Based on my (limited) experience it's a very good idea.

Imo, NASA SoCal is doing a good job w/ good people making good decisions. There's no way for me to really know but perhaps that bad weekend that we all experienced last year was a turning point for them.
                    Chris
                    ------------

Comment

Working...
                    X