USA2005 Sevens Tour Coming Our Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA2005 Sevens Tour Coming Our Way

I think from this list only Tom Jones and I are going to participate in this legendary tour.

However, according to latest changes the caravan will most likely drive on Oct 1st from las Vegas to Tehachapi (close to Willow Springs for the geographically challenged) and continue from there to the coast and up to San Francisco.

That avails an opportunity for everybody else in SoCal to meet some well known names from the Blatchat forum (I fear also some from their infamous Test Area).

Anyway, it may even come better: I found that on Oct 1st there will be the annual Fall Formula Festival of the Historic Sports Car Racing Club at Willow Springs (Big Track). I checked with the organizer and they offer us preferred free corral parking in the paddock for the tour group, lunchtime parade laps and one lunchtime open track session for $10 per car. Of course also watching the racing events with older Formula Ford, Formula One and Indy cars and strolling the paddock. Since this is home turf I am trying to convince the tour organizer that this is just the dog's danglies and we should go there.

Not sure if it all works out but I would suspect that most of you guys would be interested. Having 50+ Sevens in one place (might be up to 60 or 70 including us locals) is not going to happen again in SoCal.

Well, nothing decided yet. But mark your calendars.....

Gert

Will do!

Comment

Gert,

For some time I've been trying to arrange a brief period of track time at Infineon for the 2005 Tour group on 10/3 or 10/4, based upon Steve Blair's earlier itinerary through Tahoe, and am still working on it. I haven't been in touch with him about this in a few weeks though, so if Willow is now a better option I would encourage pursuing it, and would want to stop the effort here. I also expect that Willow would be much easier to get the group onto at a low price, and without sanctioning oversight, than Infineon. Let's coordinate.

Rich

Comment

Re: USA2005 Sevens Tour Coming Our Way

Originally posted by slomove
        I think from this list only Tom Jones and I are going to participate in this legendary tour.
        Not sure I count as a list member since I no longer live in California (now in the Seattle area) and I don't own a Caterham (I drive a Westfield), but I'm on the tour as well! :D

-John
        Westfield SEiW
        2.0L Duratec
        Throttle Steer

Comment

Sorry John, sometimes it is difficult to connect names and aliases. But anyway, good to meet you next fall! Anybody else out there who is going?

Gert

Comment

Gert: I visited the Se7enstour website and could not find where the itinerary puts them in Tehachapi. Is there an updated site?

It's a shame they won't be there a week earlier when the Shelby Club hits the Streets for their fall event. Would be cool if they switched their weekend so these guys could get a 7 friendly track fix :(

I know John C and he will be excellent company. If he is trekking down from Seattle it makes me feel like I better join up at some point!

JC: As an occasional CA resident you are always welcome on this list. And we are agnostic about what type of 7 you have, what's important is that: WE ALL HEAR THE SAME 7 MUSIC!!

The title of site was arrived at by trying to figure out what name would bring in the most 7 interested web surfers. A name like the West Coast Lotus 7 and Clones club just didn't seem very workable. And, when you add Caterham, Westfield, Birkin, Locost, Indy, Home Built Special, etc to the title it just gets out of control; even if it gives our users cars publicity. 8)

Comment

Brad, that is a last minute change (instead of going north to Lake Tahoe) and the web site is not always up to date.

I am not sure if many participants would do much track work. Most of them will not have helmets or would not want to risk a breakdown in the middle of the tour. The one track session offered by the Historic Car Club plus the parade may be just all we need. And hanging out at the race, looking at old cars sounds also quite good.

What ticks me off is the I will not be at the Shelby Club event. But you can not have everything....

Gert

Comment

Gert: Are you referring to the April or September Shelby Club event. Every time you go to the Streets your car is faster than the previous trip. I'm looking forward to seeing the latest version at one of these events :D When your head comes back from visiting AMMO please give us an update. 8) Brad

Comment

I mean the September event when I am with the tour. The decision on the April event is still open, pending my business travel plans.

Actually, for the cylinder head I ended up not sending it to Ammo in the UK. He made me a pretty good price on the work to compensate for the horrible exchange rate. But when I weighed the whole junk to send over there it came out to almost 60 pounds. Shipping would have been well above $500 both ways and I gave up.

I will have the work now done by PHP Raceengines (near Chicago). Same price for the work and shipping both ways is only $50. This guy has done another US spec ZX1 engine before and knows about the issues. Looks like the head of the Contour ZX1 is indeed slightly different from the Mondeo ZX1 and PHP will have to grind new grooves into the valve shafts to accommodate the high lift Kent springs that go with the cams. These springs fit without mod into the European ZX1 and Ammo may not even know about it. Oh well. Only problem is the engine builder is backlogged until end of February :( Putting everything back together and re-tuning the engine will be very tight for the California Speedway NASA track day in March. Well, let's see.....

Gert

Comment

Brad, you better join up for part of the tour and don't forget to bring some Kung Pao chicken from that restaurant in PB. I need a fix! :wink: I totally understand about the club name selection, and for the record, I am not bitter that you thought my original suggestion of "The West Coast Funny-Little-Cars-Without-Doors-That-Go-Like-Stink Club" was a little wordy.

Gert, I agree that a lot of folks on the tour won't want to do any hot laps on track for the reasons you cited, but some spirited parade laps are definitely in order. Looking forward to meeting you!

-John
                    Westfield SEiW
                    2.0L Duratec
                    Throttle Steer

Comment

Gert,
                      Do you know if it would be possible to join up with the tour for just a few days driving? Now that the route passes near here, I was thinking it would be fun to join them at Willow and drive on up the coast for a few days, maybe all the way to San Francisco (I could visit Woody :D ).

In fact, Woody currently has my lower A-arms for the ball-joint upgrade, and as it turns out, both A-arms were bent slightly. I've ordered a seat from Ultrashield along with a five point harness, so I should be all set for Willow Springs come April :!:

Stan

Comment

'05 Sevens Tour

Gert;
                        I joined "the club" 9 months ago and have been viewing postings daily since then, and this is my first posting, but since I have so much going on in my daily life I haven't taken or made the time to respond to dozens and dozens of posts that I have wanted to. I also would like to know about possibly meeting up with the tour at some undecided point, but I would need to have an itinerary of not only when they will be where, but where they will be staying for their overnights. I can understand the logistical nightmare involved, but any info you or any of the other members may be able to provide would be greatly appreciated!
                        With Best Regards,
                        Jim F.

Comment

Jim F.: If you are planning to join the tour you should hook up with John C. He will be driving down from Seattle to join the tour and you laddies could have some fun on the "to and fro" part of the journey.

What sort of 7 do you have? 8)

Comment

Hi Stan and Jim,

I don't think the organizer of the tour (Steve Blair) has any problems with other Sevens tagging along as long as he does not have to account and plan for it. That means you are on your own with hotel reservations.

The exact hotel info is not out yet and I guess it may take a few more week before this is published.

The general idea for the western part of the tour is now as follows:

9/29 arrive Las Vegas
                            9/30 Las Vegas
                            10/1 drive to Tehachapi
                            10/2 drive to Cambria (on Hwy 1)
                            10/3 drive to San Francisco
                            10/4 San Francisco
                            10/5 pack up cars
                            10/6 return to UK

Hope that helps your planning,

Gert

Comment

It looks like the new route is up here. According to this, we go from from Las Vegas to Ventura, then to San Simeon, and finally San Francisco. BTW I am scheduled to join up in Durrango on day 11.

-John
                              Westfield SEiW
                              2.0L Duratec
                              Throttle Steer

Comment

Working...
                              X