Announcement

Collapse

Seven Wiki Available

Please check out our wiki available at:

http://www.californiacaterhamclub.com/wiki7
See more
See less

Re-taking Mt. Palomar from the lay down dare devil rice rocketeers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-taking Mt. Palomar from the lay down dare devil rice rocketeers...

Yup, they've taken it back since last Sunday. We'll need to plan our next attack even better.

Will those 7 owners and enthusiasts that feel our patriotism for taking back the mountain, in late Sept or early Oct, please register their willingness to possibly take one day from their busy lives to roust these guys off the mountain next fall?

More great drives are awaiting us in that region. Still can't wipe that smile off my face.....

If you want in on the fun, just indicate your potential interest below.

They won't retreat easily, and there are some bold superbike pilots amongst them. I swear that one was leaning horizontally around a curve last Sunday! Going downhill, of course. All of life's variables considered, I'm up for planning and participating in a Fall Blat. Maybe Mother Nature and the weatherman will cooperate and give us a slightly cooler day.

One question: How do we discourage the rear-engined German rolling chicane-mobiles from infecting the roads? Still remembering the fun on last Sunday's drive and looking forward to another!

My friend Roger commented on bikes and Porsche drivers: "Porsche drivers and superbikes, twas ever thus."

Best wishes,
    Clark

Comment

Originally posted by Clark View Post

One question: How do we discourage the rear-engined German rolling chicane-mobiles from infecting the roads? Still remembering the fun on last Sunday's drive and looking forward to another!
      Given that I live in the area and visit the mountain fairly often I can attest that the only way to avoid the touristenfahrts is to get on the hill early. Living in the area makes this fairly easy. We usually depart Escondido shortly after dawn. A circuit that includes Mt Palomar, Mesa Grande Wynola Road, Banner Grade, Yaqui Valley Road, Montezuma Valley Road & Couser Canyon, with a stop for breakfast in Borrego Springs or Julian can be accomplished before noon.

Unfortunately for those who have t\o travel down from the far reaches this requires heading south at an ungodly hour. Or spending the night before locally in San Diego County.
      EscondidoRon

'62 Lotus Seven
      '84 Turbo Esprit (x2)
      '14 Evora
      '77 Esprit S1 (RIP) :(

"A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom." -Michel De Montaigne 1588

Comment

Originally posted by escondidoron View Post
        .... Or spending the night before locally in San Diego County.
        That is what we did last weekend. Oceanside has ample hotels, enough to do at the beach and in the evening and was only 20 minutes from the meeting point. Was pretty busy, though...

Comment

Gert, Please send me your Email address. The earthlink.net address keeps bouncing them back to me. TYVM! Brad

Comment

Escondidoron: We did Couser on Sunday, really fun and almost empty. I would also like to include Old Julian Road and Highland Valley Road on the next tour. Brad

Comment

Originally posted by Roll a 7 View Post
              Gert, Please send me your Email address. The earthlink.net address keeps bouncing them back to me. TYVM! Brad
              PM sent!

Comment

Driving to our meeting place at the Park and Ride intersection of I-15 and Hwy. 76 takes less than an hour from Riverside. An early morning start and more opportunities for traffic-free canyon driving before lunch would be great! If only we could do something about the afternoon freeway mess around Temecula.
                Clark

Comment

Originally posted by Clark View Post
                  ... If only we could do something about the afternoon freeway mess around Temecula.
                  We had originally planned to go home from Julian via Idyllwild but it was getting late for being home at 3pm so we went back to the freeway.
                  We did avoid the Temecula mess since we turned off Hwy 79 behind Aguanga and used Sage Rd (actually very nice road) and Domenigoni Pkwy back to the 215 freeway.
                  But then we got into a jam on I 210 for an hour only 20 miles from home. At 96 degrees and mostly standing traffic that was not exactly fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Roll a 7 View Post
                    We did Couser on Sunday, really fun and almost empty. I would also like to include Old Julian Road and Highland Valley Road on the next tour. Brad
                    Very good choices indeed. I concur, Old Julian Road out of Ramona is very nice.

AndHighland Valley Road is in another world altogether. Highland Valley road is only about 5 minutes from our home. I like to think of it as our local version of the 'Ring:

Here's a glimpse of Highland Valley Road taken from my '84 Esprit

And don't froget about a real gem up near Julian; Wynola Road
                    EscondidoRon

'62 Lotus Seven
                    '84 Turbo Esprit (x2)
                    '14 Evora
                    '77 Esprit S1 (RIP) :(

"A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom." -Michel De Montaigne 1588

Comment

Ron: TYVM for the ride in your esprit---an automotive first for me. Especially enjoyed that it was set to Rhapsody under Blue Skies!! Colin & George would have loved it.

Comment

Working...
                      X