Clear All

• slomove
    replied
    So, how was the Targa California trip?

Leave a comment:

• Bradbaum
    replied
    Hi Ron,
    I will meet you Saturday morning. Let me know what time. Shell Station by the Starbucks, or you name it. I sent you a pm with phone and email info.
    Cheers, Brad

Leave a comment:

• escondidoron
    replied
    Originally posted by slomove View Post

Still 9:00am at Tommy's ?
    Yes. And possibly two of my friends, both named Brad will join us for breakfast. Brad Baum may join me from Escondido in his yellow Caterham. Brad Lewis, whom you met on our last Assault on Mt Palomar (he was driving the very fast blown silver Camaro) is planning to drive over from Moorpark and join us for the rest of the drive. I'm not sure if he will be driving the Camaro again or his new gray Corvette.

I'll PM you with my contact info. Please reply with yours.

See you at Tommy's.

Leave a comment:

• slomove
    replied
    Absolutely! We drive up Friday night.

Still 9:00am at Tommy's ?

Leave a comment:

• escondidoron
    replied
    I'm still planning to head out from Escondido Saturday morning. The weather forecast looks promising. Are you guys still planning to join in?
    Last edited by escondidoron; May 11, 2016, 06:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GWise
    replied
    Ron - I can think of a few additional things:

Spare Hoses/Clamps
    Spare diff oil (with the propensity of the standard 10 axles to crack)
    Spare slave/masters

Goodluck! Seems like a fun event.

Leave a comment:

• Capt Rex
    replied
    Plan? :-)

I too asked Dave the longest run between fuel- he said he would post this week (I'll make it a little further than you- 120 mi range).

Thx for the tips and suggestions. I'm always garaged- one item I didn't think about is getting another more water proof car cover.

Going to be a blast!
    Last edited by Capt Rex; May 3, 2016, 08:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• escondidoron
    replied
    Originally posted by Capt Rex View Post
    Ron, long and the short, I'm doing the Targa run too. No top- hoping no rain. Going by myself so at least I have the passenger seat... How do you decide what to bring? :-)

Very best, Rex
    Several questions there. In no particular order:

I have thought about what could happen, the kinds of things that could go wrong and from that, those issues that I could repair. So the basic categories are weather and breakdown. And probability of occurrence.
    Weather: highly likely. So be prepared. Breakdown. Less likely if I have prepared properly, but still possible. After all my car is 54 years old! Most likely: running out of gas. I only have a 5-gallon tank. I've studied Google maps of the areas and expressed my concern to Dave. My car has about 100 mile range. I have a length of hose and a gas can to use for siphoning!

I'm running solo as well. I figure that with only 1340cc of engine that is the least strain on the drive train.

I don't own a top or side curtains for my car. And no wipers either. Not to worry. I have a water resistant jacket and leather flight cap. That is my wet weather gear. Sort of like outfitting yourself like on a motorcycle is my approach. .i also have gloves, goggles and ear plugs.

More importantly, I have prepared a small spares package and tool kit. You know, the kind of things that I could repair on the side of the road in event of failure:
    Spares:
    Throttle cable
    Throttle spring
    Clevis
    Cotter pins
    Fan belt
    Electrical relays
    Wire
    Crimp connectors
    Switches
    Oil
    Brake fluid
    Ignition parts
    Flash light
    Tools for items listed above
    Cell phone
    AAA membership number
    Phone numbers of colleagues also on the Targa

So that's my plan. Yours?

Leave a comment:

• slomove
    replied
    Originally posted by Capt Rex View Post
    ....I'm doing the Targa run too. No top- hoping no rain. Going by myself so at least I have the passenger seat... How do you decide what to bring?/..............
    Bring a jacket at least :) . Here is a short clip of our run with the Targa folks in 2012:

That was mid April, though and going across the coastal mountains on Naciemento Fergusson Rd., it got freezing cold and eventually started to hail. We really appreciated our "sun" roof. Overall it was a great event, well planned on nice roads. Mostly Porsche Club with some folks even from the East Coast. All were nice but we had a handful of very aggressive drivers to the point of recklessness.

Leave a comment:

• Capt Rex
    replied
    Ron, long and the short, I'm doing the Targa run too. No top- hoping no rain. Going by myself so at least I have the passenger seat... How do you decide what to bring? :-)

Very best, Rex

Leave a comment:

• slomove
    replied
    Originally posted by escondidoron View Post
    ......... Instead I have been looking at Big Bear to Victorville via Lucerne Valley and after lunch, Phelan to Wrightwood and Big Pines Hwy to Palmdale........On the other hand, I am quite fond of Mexico Lindo in Wrightwood. I could easily be persuaded to have lunch there and take the east route down the hill as you have suggested. That would most certainly beat driving across Bear Valley Road and over to Wrightwood via Phelan and Pinon Hills.
    O.K., good route.... :)
    We have been to Wrightwood many times but not at this Mexico Lindo place. Menu looks appetizing.

I am looking forward to this trip!

Leave a comment:

• Bradbaum
    replied
    That's great Ron,
    I think you have my phone and email contacts? Keep me posted.

Leave a comment:

• escondidoron
    replied
    Originally posted by Bradbaum View Post
    Hi Ron, I'd follow you in my Caterham from the Via Rancho Pkwy Starbucks to Idlewild,
    IF, my back gets better by then. I moved L4 or L5 against the sciatic nerve a few weeks ago trying to get windshield wipers working on the 58 Giulietta. Never happened before, I have new sympathy for back sufferers everywhere.
    Hi Brad;

Great to hear from you. Starting out at the coffee shop sounds excellent.

I hope that you're feeling better in time to take this on. Please keep me posted on your progress.

BTW, I'm looking at a short shakedown run on the Saturday or Sunday (probably Sunday) prior, 7 or 8 May. Up to Julian and back, or if I'm feeling adventurous (and have the time), maybe all the way down to Borrego Springs.

Leave a comment:

• escondidoron
    replied
    I made a reservation at the Fern Valley Inn in Idyllwild and we will drive up there Friday night.
    That sounds like fun. Candy and I have stayed there before and really enjoyed it.

I also don't know Paulina's but was wondering if the slog through the desert to V-ville and then Palmdale is worthwhile. Did you consider staying up high through Running Springs, Crestline, Cajon Junction and then drive Lone Pine Canyon to Wrightwood and the Big Pines Highway to Palmdale. IMO much nicer than the mostly 4-lane Hwy 138.
    Paulina's is a wonderful little place. The food is outstanding. And you're correct; Driving across Hwy 138 is a non-starter. But I'm not thinking to cross over to Palmdale via 138 after lunch. Instead I have been looking at Big Bear to Victorville via Lucerne Valley and after lunch, Phelan to Wrightwood and Big Pines Hwy to Palmdale.

That said, it's been a while since I have stopped for food up in the Big Bear area. So I'm not too familiar with spots for lunch up there. Which is why I was thinking of Paulina's. On the other hand, I am quite fond of Mexico Lindo in Wrightwood. I could easily be persuaded to have lunch there and take the east route down the hill as you have suggested. That would most certainly beat driving across Bear Valley Road and over to Wrightwood via Phelan and Pinon Hills.

Leave a comment:

• slomove
    replied
    Originally posted by escondidoron View Post
    How about 0900?

Then breakfast and/or brunch at Tommy's? I've never been there but the reviews on Yelp look pretty good.

Or do you know of a good spot there?
    I made a reservation at the Fern Valley Inn in Idyllwild and we will drive up there Friday night. I have not had breakfast in idyllwild and this Tommy's place looks good.

I also don't know Paulina's but was wondering if the slog through the desert to V-ville and then Palmdale is worthwhile. Did you consider staying up high through Running Springs, Crestline, Cajon Junction and then drive Lone Pine Canyon to Wrightwood and the Big Pines Highway to Palmdale. IMO much nicer than the mostly 4-lane Hwy 138. But this is your trip, you decide.

We would peel off at Mt. Emma road in any case and go back on Angeles Forest Hwy.

Gert

Leave a comment:

Working...
X