SoCal Drive Anyone? Escondido to Castaic - Saturday 14 May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SoCal Drive Anyone? Escondido to Castaic - Saturday 14 May

I've entered the Targa California and am planning on driving our trusty old '62 S2. The event starts on Sunday the 15th up in Castaic, ending on Wednesday the 18th at Buttonwillow. I'm planning to drive up to the starting point on Saturday and spend the night in Castaic. I'm planning on a bit of a scenic route as it just doesn't seem like that much fun to drive across LA in the Seven.

The highlights of my route are as follows:
    Escondido up to Warner Springs and then on to Idyllwild/Pine Cove.
    Stop there for some brunch.
    Down the hill to Banning and then back up again to Big Bear.
    From Big Bear down the hill to Victumville.
    Lunch at Paulina's Mexican Grill in Hictorville.

Across to Palmdale and the Bouquet Reservoir before dropping down the hill to Castaic.
    Dinner and lodging in Castaic.

Anyone interested in joining in? All or part?

I'm also considering a scenic route home from Buttonwillow on Wednesday afternoon and Thursday. But I'll have to see how I feel after 1000 miles of Targa for that though!
    EscondidoRon

'62 Lotus Seven
    '84 Turbo Esprit (x2)
    '14 Evora
    '77 Esprit S1 (RIP) :(

"A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom." -Michel De Montaigne 1588

Sounds good. If you give me a when and where for the Idyllwild brunch I can join there. 400 miles round trip, not too bad.
    Last edited by slomove; April 21, 2016, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Will do. I'll be home this weekend. I'll make a time estimate when I get a chance to sit down with a map.
      EscondidoRon

'62 Lotus Seven
      '84 Turbo Esprit (x2)
      '14 Evora

"A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom." -Michel De Montaigne 1588

Comment

Originally posted by slomove View Post
        Sounds good. If you give me a when and where for the Idyllwild brunch I can join there.
        How about 0900?

Then breakfast and/or brunch at Tommy's? I've never been there but the reviews on Yelp look pretty good.

Or do you know of a good spot there?
        EscondidoRon

'62 Lotus Seven
        '84 Turbo Esprit (x2)
        '14 Evora

Comment

Hi Ron, I'd follow you in my Caterham from the Via Rancho Pkwy Starbucks to Idlewild,
          IF, my back gets better by then. I moved L4 or L5 against the sciatic nerve a few weeks ago trying to get windshield wipers working on the 58 Giulietta. Never happened before, I have new sympathy for back sufferers everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by escondidoron View Post
            How about 0900?

Then breakfast and/or brunch at Tommy's? I've never been there but the reviews on Yelp look pretty good.

Or do you know of a good spot there?
            I made a reservation at the Fern Valley Inn in Idyllwild and we will drive up there Friday night. I have not had breakfast in idyllwild and this Tommy's place looks good.

I also don't know Paulina's but was wondering if the slog through the desert to V-ville and then Palmdale is worthwhile. Did you consider staying up high through Running Springs, Crestline, Cajon Junction and then drive Lone Pine Canyon to Wrightwood and the Big Pines Highway to Palmdale. IMO much nicer than the mostly 4-lane Hwy 138. But this is your trip, you decide.

We would peel off at Mt. Emma road in any case and go back on Angeles Forest Hwy.

Gert

Comment

I made a reservation at the Fern Valley Inn in Idyllwild and we will drive up there Friday night.
              That sounds like fun. Candy and I have stayed there before and really enjoyed it.

I also don't know Paulina's but was wondering if the slog through the desert to V-ville and then Palmdale is worthwhile. Did you consider staying up high through Running Springs, Crestline, Cajon Junction and then drive Lone Pine Canyon to Wrightwood and the Big Pines Highway to Palmdale. IMO much nicer than the mostly 4-lane Hwy 138.
              Paulina's is a wonderful little place. The food is outstanding. And you're correct; Driving across Hwy 138 is a non-starter. But I'm not thinking to cross over to Palmdale via 138 after lunch. Instead I have been looking at Big Bear to Victorville via Lucerne Valley and after lunch, Phelan to Wrightwood and Big Pines Hwy to Palmdale.

That said, it's been a while since I have stopped for food up in the Big Bear area. So I'm not too familiar with spots for lunch up there. Which is why I was thinking of Paulina's. On the other hand, I am quite fond of Mexico Lindo in Wrightwood. I could easily be persuaded to have lunch there and take the east route down the hill as you have suggested. That would most certainly beat driving across Bear Valley Road and over to Wrightwood via Phelan and Pinon Hills.
              EscondidoRon

'62 Lotus Seven
              '84 Turbo Esprit (x2)
              '14 Evora

Comment

Originally posted by Bradbaum View Post
                Hi Ron, I'd follow you in my Caterham from the Via Rancho Pkwy Starbucks to Idlewild,
                IF, my back gets better by then. I moved L4 or L5 against the sciatic nerve a few weeks ago trying to get windshield wipers working on the 58 Giulietta. Never happened before, I have new sympathy for back sufferers everywhere.
                Hi Brad;

Great to hear from you. Starting out at the coffee shop sounds excellent.

I hope that you're feeling better in time to take this on. Please keep me posted on your progress.

BTW, I'm looking at a short shakedown run on the Saturday or Sunday (probably Sunday) prior, 7 or 8 May. Up to Julian and back, or if I'm feeling adventurous (and have the time), maybe all the way down to Borrego Springs.
                EscondidoRon

'62 Lotus Seven
                '84 Turbo Esprit (x2)
                '14 Evora

Comment

That's great Ron,
                  I think you have my phone and email contacts? Keep me posted.

Comment

Originally posted by escondidoron View Post
                    ......... Instead I have been looking at Big Bear to Victorville via Lucerne Valley and after lunch, Phelan to Wrightwood and Big Pines Hwy to Palmdale........On the other hand, I am quite fond of Mexico Lindo in Wrightwood. I could easily be persuaded to have lunch there and take the east route down the hill as you have suggested. That would most certainly beat driving across Bear Valley Road and over to Wrightwood via Phelan and Pinon Hills.
                    O.K., good route.... :)
                    We have been to Wrightwood many times but not at this Mexico Lindo place. Menu looks appetizing.

I am looking forward to this trip!

Comment

Ron, long and the short, I'm doing the Targa run too. No top- hoping no rain. Going by myself so at least I have the passenger seat... How do you decide what to bring? :-)

Very best, Rex

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Rex View Post
                        ....I'm doing the Targa run too. No top- hoping no rain. Going by myself so at least I have the passenger seat... How do you decide what to bring?/..............
                        Bring a jacket at least :) . Here is a short clip of our run with the Targa folks in 2012:

That was mid April, though and going across the coastal mountains on Naciemento Fergusson Rd., it got freezing cold and eventually started to hail. We really appreciated our "sun" roof. Overall it was a great event, well planned on nice roads. Mostly Porsche Club with some folks even from the East Coast. All were nice but we had a handful of very aggressive drivers to the point of recklessness.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Rex View Post
                          Ron, long and the short, I'm doing the Targa run too. No top- hoping no rain. Going by myself so at least I have the passenger seat... How do you decide what to bring? :-)

Very best, Rex
                          Several questions there. In no particular order:

I have thought about what could happen, the kinds of things that could go wrong and from that, those issues that I could repair. So the basic categories are weather and breakdown. And probability of occurrence.
                          Weather: highly likely. So be prepared. Breakdown. Less likely if I have prepared properly, but still possible. After all my car is 54 years old! Most likely: running out of gas. I only have a 5-gallon tank. I've studied Google maps of the areas and expressed my concern to Dave. My car has about 100 mile range. I have a length of hose and a gas can to use for siphoning!

I'm running solo as well. I figure that with only 1340cc of engine that is the least strain on the drive train.

I don't own a top or side curtains for my car. And no wipers either. Not to worry. I have a water resistant jacket and leather flight cap. That is my wet weather gear. Sort of like outfitting yourself like on a motorcycle is my approach. .i also have gloves, goggles and ear plugs.

More importantly, I have prepared a small spares package and tool kit. You know, the kind of things that I could repair on the side of the road in event of failure:
                          Spares:
                          Throttle cable
                          Throttle spring
                          Clevis
                          Cotter pins
                          Fan belt
                          Electrical relays
                          Wire
                          Crimp connectors
                          Switches
                          Oil
                          Brake fluid
                          Ignition parts
                          Flash light
                          Tools for items listed above
                          Cell phone
                          AAA membership number
                          Phone numbers of colleagues also on the Targa

So that's my plan. Yours?
                          EscondidoRon

'62 Lotus Seven
                          '84 Turbo Esprit (x2)
                          '14 Evora

Comment

Plan? :-)

I too asked Dave the longest run between fuel- he said he would post this week (I'll make it a little further than you- 120 mi range).

Thx for the tips and suggestions. I'm always garaged- one item I didn't think about is getting another more water proof car cover.

Going to be a blast!
                            Last edited by Capt Rex; May 3, 2016, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Ron - I can think of a few additional things:

Spare Hoses/Clamps
                              Spare diff oil (with the propensity of the standard 10 axles to crack)
                              Spare slave/masters

Goodluck! Seems like a fun event.

Comment

Working...
                              X