SupercarSunday May 3rd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SupercarSunday May 3rd

Hayden's car is running and he is itching for a drive.

Anyone else up for it on May 3rd?

SuperCarSunday with short blat to follow, maybe the Rock Store via Stunt Road or someplace else?

Well, I better get going with that idler pulley repair. Tentatively, I will be there.

Comment

Can't you make what you need on your CNC machine?

Or just use Duct tape and gum?

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Liedblad View Post
        Can't you make what you need on your CNC machine?

Or just use Duct tape and gum?
        That is the plan, I mean the CNC machine with some lathe work. I have the new bearing already and an aluminum rod as well.

I tried the tape and gum stuff before in the form of a a hard polyurethane idler I made first. But the idler (it is pretty small diameter) can spin at 15,000+rpm and it exploded on me on the Infineon track many years ago, chipping a piece out of the adjacent timing belt idler and ruining my track weekend. I guess I will stay with an aluminum pulley.

Comment

Maybe. I was planning to go to the Chino Planes of Fame airshow, but I suppose I could do that Saturday instead

Randall

Comment

Ah, reminds me....I had promised to go to the airshow and I can not do that Saturday. So I guess I have to bail out from the SCS meet and drive. But I will go and repair my car nonetheless.

Comment

Anyone besides Hayden and myself?

Gert, did you fix the car?

Randall, if you are going to the airshow, my advice is go with Gert.

Comment

....Gert, did you fix the car?.....
                No and I am ticked off. I had the new bearing but damaged it (possibly, but don't want to take a risk) when pressing it in.
                Since it is cheap I ordered a new one and now Amazon Logistics misplaced it when shipping. I hope I get it tomorrow.
                Last edited by slomove; May 1, 2015, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Did you try the local auto parts store?

Or Motion Industries which are sometimes open Saturday in the AM.

Comment

It doesn't appear that I'll make it. every schedule change this week is yielding unfortunate consequences.

Randall

Comment

Wish I could be there, just got back today from 5 weeks in SE Asia and have to get my ducks in a row at home.
                      Paul. Birkin S3 /Dunnel zetec/emerald ECU

Comment

Vacation or working?

Comment

Did you try the local auto parts store? Or Motion Industries which are sometimes open Saturday in the AM.
                          I did not but Amazon finally delivered with 6 days instead of the promised 2 days. Idler is finished, just need to install now. I changed the retainer from a circlip to 3 M5 screws and hope they will hold the bearing in place (double row, angular contact bearing).This pulley is 50mm diameter x 22mm tall.

Last edited by slomove; May 6, 2015, 10:24 PM.

Comment

...... I changed the retainer from a circlip to 3 M5 screws and hope they will hold the bearing in place..........

Loctite?

Comment

I had the circlip and Loctite on the old idler but somehow it worked itself loose over 30k miles anyway. I suspect it gets pretty warm when running and the expanding aluminum pulley separates a few microns from the steel bearing that has less thermal expansion, destroying the glue bond.

But I seated the bearing with threadlocker gel on this new one anyway, just to be sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X