See less

Christmas Blat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's weird, when I went to renew last year they said they were no longer doing business in California. In fact, if I recall I got a letter saying such when it was renewal time... Really would have saved me the hassle-factor of all this...

Let me know what they say, I'd be very interested to know what the deal is now. Got a great rate quoted from Hagerty so at this point I'm not going to change anything.
    Last edited by V-Robb; December 24, 2014, 09:53 AM. Reason: additional

Comment

Ok, it's official, I'm legal and can drive the Seven without worrying over excessive 'imperial entanglements'...

So who else is coming? Two cars isn't a very impressive convoy.

Comment

Dang, I found I can't go on the 26th myself. Sorry about that. Actually we might even go tomorrow, i.e. Christmas Day. But I know that most everybody else will be busy with family that day and it may even be a challenge to find a lunch place that is open.

But....how about another drive on the 2nd or 3rd of January?

Comment

I'm game, just let us all know when/where and we'll go from there.

Glad I got all my paperwork straightened out with the 7 in any event, been itching to run the canyons lately...!

BTW, if you do go tomorrow let the forum know - my wife abandons me every dec. 25th to fly back to WI so I'll be free.

Comment

Originally posted by slomove View Post
            Dang, I found I can't go on the 26th myself. Sorry about that. Actually we might even go tomorrow, i.e. Christmas Day. But I know that most everybody else will be busy with family that day and it may even be a challenge to find a lunch place that is open.

But....how about another drive on the 2nd or 3rd of January?
            I can't to the 2nd or 3rd of January but might be able to do Mon or Tuesday of next week. 29th or 30th.

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by V-Robb View Post
              ....my wife abandons me every dec. 25th .....
              Yes, same here. My wife is in Germany. But my son will be along.

I thought we will be at 10:00 am in La Canada at the Hwy2 off ramp Shell gas station (south of freeway): https://www.google.com/maps/search/g...118.199219,17z

No real point to go earlier, it will be ample cold anyway. I will bring the thick ski gloves, down jacket and warm hat....

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Liedblad View Post
                I can't to the 2nd or 3rd of January but might be able to do Mon or Tuesday of next week. 29th or 30th.

Doug
                Got to work those days. Another possibility is actually the 31st. The party I am going to will only start at 10pm.

Comment

I can do 10am tomorrow at the usual Shell station everyone hits before attacking CA2! As long as the battery holds a charge (was totally flat and is hooked up to the charger) and I can get her to kick over after all the sitting time I'm totally there! A nice Christmas blat, which I believe is the title of this thread you started in the first place, no?
                  Last edited by V-Robb; December 24, 2014, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by V-Robb View Post
                    I can do 10am tomorrow at the usual Shell station everyone hits before attacking CA2! As long as the battery holds a charge (was totally flat and is hooked up to the charger) and I can get her to kick over after all the sitting time I'm totally there! A nice Christmas blat, which I believe is the title of this thread you started in the first place, no?
                    Well... y'all go get some. But go down Foothill to Mt. Gleason, make the right and proceed to Lower Big T to Angeles Forest left to Upper Big T to the 2. Mo Betta drive, way mo betta.

Battery will be fine as long as the alternator is working. Stick a meter on it to be sure. And remember to park facing downhill! :-D
                    Chris
                    ------------
                    A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

So, we did the sissy stuff after all. Turned out that Hwy2 was closed to Wrightwood and we just drove Angeles Forest, Mt Emma Road to Big Pines and had lunch in Wrightwood, then back on I15 and 210. But we had a quick detour to Devil's Punchbowl, actually quite nice county park. 156 miles, beautiful weather and clear and it was not colder than 40 degrees, much better than the forecast.

Thanks to Robert for showing up and the bottle of homebrew. Already gone....

Comment

Ever see a battery balloon?

I had a great time and I'm glad you enjoyed the Ale. High praise indeed.
                        My run back home was "interesting" to say the least. On our way to Devils Punchbowl (way cool btw) I started smelling what could only be described as sewage plant, or swamp gas, smell. Couldn't figure out what was nearby that would be causing the stench, but I thought no more of it and we blatted along. We then continued through Wrightwood, stopped and ate, and then headed back down for home. As I pulled off the freeway by my house the car stalled and was electrically dead. Stench of sewage was still there and I started to think something crawled up inside the car somewhere and died. Pushed the car into the parking lot of the dry cleaners' there at pass and alameda and checked the engine. Saw that my battery was boiling over (hard to do in an AGM battery you'd think...), was smoking hot, and I was afraid it was going to explode and send sulfuric acid all over. Thankfully it didn't, had to tow the car with some rope the 1/2 mile to the house. Luckily we didn't do the long 300mi run since I probably would have been dead on the road as far from home as possible.
                        Attached is a picture of Gert and Lris, I mean Lars, in Wrightwood after we ate and talked, and at this point I'm still totally unaware of the battery balloon blooming under my hood.
                        Good times!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Is the battery still under warranty?

Check the output voltage from your alternator. If that is OK it may have failed from being discharged for a long period of time.

If you read the Odyssey website AGM batteries don't do well when kept in a discharged state for long periods.

Comment

My thoughts too, Doug, and that battery was many years old and was totally discharged before I charged it back up. Indeed once I find my DVM I'll verify the voltage to the battery when running, I suspect that will measure fine.

Comment

Buy a good trickle charger for the next battery.

Note that when an AGM battery is deeply discharged it needs to have at least 6 Amps to charge properly. A trickle charge won't be enough to bring it back from the dead. Once charged a trickle charger is fine.
                              Last edited by Doug Liedblad; December 27, 2014, 08:13 AM.

Comment

I got a couple of them, in fact. Just didn't hook it up last time, will this time!

I used 10A to bring the dead one back alive overnight. In the morning it appeared to have a good charge, but apparently there were other issues due to the extended discharged state.

Comment

Working...
                                X