Clear All

• Dyno Day 2015 - Sign up here!

When: Feb 14, 2015 10:00am - 4:00pm

Where:
    Bisimoto Engineering
    1916 South Lynx Place
    Ontario, CA 91761

Cost:
    $180/hr. A car usually takes between one and two hours to map, mostly depending on how crappy the PC mapping software is.
    Tipping the tuner is optional, but appreciated.

What to bring:
    Car, w/ adequate fuel, fresh oil/plugs, clean or new filters.
    Laptop w/ appropriate engine management software and cable. Magnus will bring an WIn XP laptop in case you only have a CD and a cable.
    Money/checkbook/credit card for dyno time, lunch, and donation to tuner.

Participants in red are joining for the first time and will have priority.

Participants:
    Hayden (tipridr)
    Greg (ZIGI1)
    Michel Murphy (mmurphy)
    Chris (moose)
    GBS Zero 1
    Randall (rzempel)
    Nick ([email protected])
    Magnus (magnusfeuer)

Spectators and support (hecklers):
    Gert (slomove)
    Doug (Doug Liedblad) - Will run corner weights and suspension measurement using the tools that Magnus will not forget.

On the fence:
    Justin (sdcat)
    Brad (RollA7) - Spectator.

WARNING: Your engine may blow up due to unknown mechanical issues.
    Neither Magnus Feuer or Bisimoto will take responsibility for ruined engines, and we will both have you sign a waiver before touching your car. My only words of consolidation is that this is the fifth time we've done this and no engines have been harmed yet.

Please make sure that your engine is freshly serviced. We will run it at full throttle for about 1-2 minutes in total. We will also hit peak RPM three-four times during the session. Make sure that your rev-limiter is set correctly.
    Last edited by magnusfeuer; February 13, 2015, 07:51 AM. Reason: Added GBS Zero1

I can make any of those dates work. First response = first on the dyno. Dibs!
    Chris
    ------------
    A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

Chris -
      Seems like maybe Wayne (super7guy) ought to be somewhere in the first cars up, as he was the one to get this whole deal going.
      But then, everybody has been waiting to see your car on the dyno for... over a month now, at least.

Wish I could sign up as a heckler, but damn near zero chance I could make it this time.
      | | Sean

Comment

As far as I can tell, at this point, any of those dates will be fine for me.

Randall

Comment

Getting the first spot is down to bribing the tuner.

/Magnus F.

Originally posted by Sean View Post
          Chris -
          Seems like maybe Wayne (super7guy) ought to be somewhere in the first cars up, as he was the one to get this whole deal going.
          But then, everybody has been waiting to see your car on the dyno for... over a month now, at least.

Wish I could sign up as a heckler, but damn near zero chance I could make it this time.

Comment

Since my MBE isn't programmable, I may just come watch if I have the day off.

Justin

Comment

Is it not programmable at all or you don't have the unlock code?

Does it need it? You can still put it on the dyno and check.

Comment

Justin - Can't you just wipe the old map and start over? I do believe we have a number of good Duratec maps to use as a baseline.

/Magnus F.

Comment

Id like to come watch and hang out with you guys if that is ok. I can make any day after the 24th, the 17th/18th I will be manning the Caterham booth at Barrett Jackson in Scottsdale.
                  Nick Nehrir
                  Hillbank Motor Corporation
                  6 Autry
                  Irvine, CA 92618
                  P. 949-900-1961
                  us.caterhamcars.com
                  [email protected]

Comment

I think I would have to send it in to the factory to have it erased. It wouldn't cost too much more to buy a blank 9A4. I might think about that.

Justin

Comment

http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Price_List/Du...ice%20list.pdf

1018 USD.

Deep breath. Wallet out.

/Magnus F.

Comment

Originally posted by sdcat View Post
                        I think I would have to send it in to the factory to have it erased. It wouldn't cost too much more to buy a blank 9A4. I might think about that.

Justin

Justin, before you do anything come put it on the dyno. It may be PERFECT already. 30 minutes to an hour of dyno time and you will know what if anything needs to be done.

Comment

Doug,

That's the thing. It was recently dynoed, and although it seems to run a bit rich in the mid-range, it makes decent power and runs smoothly. If I had a programmable 9A4 I would think it would be great to try and improve on it, but may not be worth the cost of wiping this one or buyning a new one.

Justin

Comment

How much are those paddle shifting systems again? Or a sequential gearbox? Or a complete 2.3L all-steel Cosworth Duratec that replaced the highly modified, blower Zetec?

But suddenly a grand for an ECU is too much?

Doug's point is well made - no reason to spend money if it isn't, um, necessary. But then again, just what part of what we like to do with these highly impractical cars is really necessary?

This is about Upgradeitis. We all know it. We all have it. So please, let's not start trotting out complaints about cost when you know that you're already (secretly, perhaps) dreaming about dropping some dough on the next cool thing. Hell, you've probably been trolling, or are about to troll, some website that has some cool shit that you'd love to put on your car.

Hi. My name is Moose and I'm an Upgradeitis-oholic. I haven't been clean now for over 10 years, and I have no interest in recovery.

My best guess is that the Caterham map is pretty well sorted for the engine as delivered. I can't recall hearing any complaints from the fellas Over There about their R500s, back in the days when we could still at least read a particular outlet of information.

Back on topic, and to Doug's point, I'm going to dyno the car to see what's there now, not (necessarily) to change anything. My butt dyno and the way it pulls right up to the cutoff tell me it's pretty much bang-effing-on. I'm skeptical that fiddly changes would bring truly meaningful (you know, like a 10% gain) results. If it ain't broke etc. etc.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: SBD really know their shit. This opinion comes from long and multiple experience using both their hardware and their software. They deliver the goods.
                            Chris
                            ------------
                            A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

Did you get a printout of the results ?

Comment

Working...
                              X