Chuckwalla in February

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuckwalla in February

The NASA Arizona Region is hosting an event at Chuckwalla over the February 7/8 weekend. I've driven there a couple of times and can honestly say "that track's a blast!" It's out in the middle of nowhere and the amenities are minimal but I'm planning to attend, probably HPDE-3. It will probably be lightly attended and lots of track time. Anyone else game?
    Clark

Sorry Clark, POC opening race of the season at Willow Springs that weekend. Hope to catch up with you at a track somewhere soon though. I may be at the AROSC event Jan 17-18.
    Nigel

Comment

Hey Nigel,
      I hope the best for you in the Willow Springs POC event! It seems like you're getting pretty competitive. For my own track time, I plan to attend some NASA events, and may come back to AROSC for a school or something. If only for a little free time!
      Clark

Comment

Maybe

Comment

I will probably be at the POC event too, but if you all are going to Chuckwalla I may join you instead. It really is a fun track, and truly in the middle of nowhere!

Will start a new thread, but another possibility is the AROSC event in January.

Justin

Comment

Never been to that track.

Where is the nearest hotel?

Is there gas and/or food at the track?

It looks reasonable close to Palm Springs, so maybe spend the night there?

/Magnus F.

Comment

Indio is the closest hotel - about 50 miles! They have a little food hut, with excellent breakfast burritos and sandwiches. They do have gas at the track. You can rent RV's at the track if they are not already full. If some of us wanted to stay there, we could see about renting one.

Justin

Comment

Hi Magnus,

In the past, I've stayed at the Indio Super 8. It's near some fairly good restaurants and they've always let me park in a restricted spot where the Seven is visible to the office staff. It takes about 45 minutes to drive between the track and the motel. I usually get fuel at the Chiriacao Summit Standard station, but self-service fuel is also available to the track. The food hut that Justin described is run by a catering outfit, and they make pretty good "track food".
                Clark

Comment

Ok.

That will work for me. I'll start the domestic negotiations.

/Magnus F.

Comment

That's fantastic news! I think you'll like driving this track. It's ideally suited for Sevens - lots of turns, many connected and moderately long straights. Anyone else?
                    Clark

Comment

Hi,
                      Since before the holidays, the combination of work, home projects and stuff, I still haven't resolved a nagging issue with our Seven's rear brakes. During light braking using the pedal or the hand brake, I get a repetitive series of loud clunking sounds from the back axel or from the differential. These don't happen with hard brake application. My latest theory is warped rear discs, or maybe it's just my warped mind.....but I've got to investigate. Bottom line result: no track days until I get time to sort this thing out. I'm sorry if anyone else entered the NASA Chuckwalla event thinking there would be other Sevens attending. It would have been fun, and the weather forecast is fantastic.

Next time!
                      Last edited by Clark; February 2, 2015, 11:29 PM.
                      Clark

Comment

Working...
                      X