Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slomove
    replied
    I ordered the new Garmin Forerunner201 wristwatch GPS toy. It is of course intended for people who race with their legs (strange thought...). But I read people used it successfully for car racing.

Let's see how it works. At $ 120 not too expensive, could be strapped to the steering wheel and does manual or auto-lap timing based on pre-defined lap distance (unfortunately not based on a reference location).

Sounds interesting, although the accompanying PC software sucks, I mean is kind of an early version.

Gert

Leave a comment:

• soareyes
    replied
    I have seen this used at past track events:

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/hotlap.htm

Basically a small transmitter placed trackside triggers an in-car timer. The timer will display and store up to sixty lap times. Each car needs its own timer (about $200) but only one transmitter (about $60) is needed for any number of cars.

Leave a comment:

• DaveG
    replied
    I timed a couple cars on Saturday.
    I got the blue and white tiger at 1:18 and the best sounding GT-350 at 1:20
    Kati got one of my better laps on Saturday at 1:28. I felt a little faster on Sunday...At least i got to pass more cars then passed me.....Even on Sunday I found that there was probably more time to be had if I just had bigger...err... "more commitment"

I'd really like to blame my $35 street tires..... but in the words of Micheal Schumaker...."The problem may be between the fuel cell and the steering wheel....."

DaveG

Leave a comment:

• Roll a 7
    replied
    I like both ideas. We could take turns doing the timing and have two stopwatches on each car, using the average as the final time. Some of the guys who do not bring their cars might be willing to pitch in on this. Let's work on this for the next event. 8)

Leave a comment:

• slomove
    replied
    Michael, that is a great idea.

Especially for me with my woefully underpowered car 8) We could even have 2 ways to count, one for "regularity" and one for outright time.

Officially that should of course be just for technical evaluation. It is not a race or real time trial, after all :mrgreen:

If we can not find a victim for taking time by stop watch (or too difficult to track 10+ cars at the same time) we could set up a camcorder on a tripod and evaluate later.

Actually, from the video of the weekend I found that I had times of 1:20 to 1: 24. Is that good or bad? Felt good to me......

Gert

Leave a comment:

• Michael Murphy
    replied
    Here's a suggestion for the group to consider.

Where I come from "regularity" competitions are popular at club events. I don't know whether this kind of event is common here but I have not heard of it. It has nothing to do with diet or bodily function. It's a form of time trial where competitors run a certain number of laps and cars are ranked based on the consistency of their lap times as opposed to fastest times. Sounds easy, but driving at the same pace lap after lap requires concentration and control.

If you are considering introducing a competitive element to the next get-together, you might consider this. It's an enjoyable test of driver skill that neutralizes the differences between high and low horsepower cars.

Leave a comment:

• Roll a 7
    replied
    Dave G: We're never gonna try to keep you out. We want you to bring friends like Venom7 and anyone else you know that has a 7 type car. More cars=More fun :!: 8)

Leave a comment:

• magnusfeuer
    replied
    It was a very, very nice event. Thanks to everyone involved. Next time we should try to setup a time trial to raise the competition level one notch.

Please mail me any pictures you want posted on the website.

I'll look into expanded disk space to host Gert's videos as well.

Leave a comment:

• DaveG
    replied
    Kati and I had an absolutely fantastic weekend running with you guys.

14 Sevens!!! I had no idea there would be that many cars at this event.

Thank you all again for the kind comments on my car. You won't be able to keep me away form the next event!

DaveG

P.S.
    I'll try to arrive early enough next time to be able to park with you guys.

Leave a comment:

• slomove
    replied
    Video came out nice. Give me a few days to edit and to get it to the web site.

Gert

Leave a comment:

• imported_venom7
    replied
    I unfortunately had commitments. I really wanted to go. I would love to see some video and images of the day.

Rob

Leave a comment:

• Roll a 7
    started a topic Streets of Willow review:

Streets of Willow review:

Mario Veltri does it again :!: (with the excellent assistance of the LA Shelby Club members). Beautiful high desert late summer weather---very hot. Lots of sweat!! All the track time you can eat!! Best of all: Fourteen (14) 7esque cars appeared. An even dozen Caterhams and Dr. Gert with his Birkin and DaveG with his well turned out self built Locost 7. Those in attendance included Clark Taylor, Michael Bedard, Magnus & Miwako Feuer, Dr. Gert, Michael Murphy, Doug Liedblad, Jon Stokes, Dave Ganzer, Scott E, Chris Carter, and myself. William brought 2 cars for renters ( Tony, who jetted in from Sweden ) and also provided a lot of backup and help to many of us in the pits---including feeding the sweating mass assembled lunches and salmon on the barbie! Also, two car owners appeared in support, although without their cars: Mike McAleer and Stan aka SOAREYES. Aspiring owners Tim & Scott also checked out the scene in anticipation of taking the plunge one day. Great times on the track, in the pits and just hanging out with a bunch of 7ers. The Shelby Club gave us what amounted to our own run group, plus John Morton in his very fast Tiger (who buzzed the track with his plane upon departure) and a few other hangers on. More cars was more fun. All who were not able to attend this time are welcome to swell our numbers next time! Those who choose not to join us will certainly be having less fun than us!! Next time out will be better :!:
Working...
X