See less

Caterham at Monterey Car Week - where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caterham at Monterey Car Week - where?

Caterham have announced two "new" models of 7 at Car Week apparently, but not sure where, specifically. As is frequently the case, the press release is short on specific details. I was in Carmel yesterday, but didn't see anything Caterham related and don't know where their stand might be located. Still, I am surprised to see this kind of actual marketing of the product here.

British sportscar maker Caterham Cars has revealed two exciting new variants of its iconic Seven for the US market at Monterey Car Week – the Seven 480 and 360.

Increased American interest in the legendary British sportscar has sparked the launch of the two new models, which have been developed especially for the US market and will go on sale immediately.

Since January 2014, the Caterham Cars range has officially been on sale in the USA through its distributor, Superformance (www.superformance.com).

Sevens are shipped to the USA in part-built form and sold as rolling chassis via Superformance’s nationwide dealer network for customers to then complete personally.

The Caterham Seven was first created in England over 40 years ago and is now one of the most recognisable British sportscars. The Seven is famed for its distinctive, classic styling, lightweight structure and legendary performance and handling.

Both the new Seven 480 and Seven 360 models are powered by a two-litre Ford Duratec engine, with the 480 variant benefitting from slightly more power. The Seven 480 reaches 0-62 MPH is just 3.4 seconds with 237BHP and a top speed of 140 MPH.

Meanwhile, the slightly lower-powered Seven 360 reaches 0-62 MPH in an impressive 4.9 seconds with 180 BHP and a top speed of 130 MPH.

Prices start at $44,900 for the Seven 360 and $52,900 for the Seven 480.

For more information on Caterham in the USA, please visit our US website here.

REF: http://us.caterhamcars.com/news/cate...new-models-usa
    | | Sean

They list the new models on their website.

http://us.caterhamcars.com/

I think the value of our cars is going up.
    Last edited by Doug Liedblad; August 13, 2014, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean View Post
      Caterham have announced two "new" models of 7 at Car Week apparently, but not sure where, specifically. As is frequently the case, the press release is short on specific details. I was in Carmel yesterday, but didn't see anything Caterham related and don't know where their stand might be located. Still, I am surprised to see this kind of actual marketing of the product here.
      REF: http://us.caterhamcars.com/news/cate...new-models-usa

I found this on Yay-who today. I don't think there's any news here, just a press release ahead of THE Concours (he sniffed...) at Poople Bee-yatch (yawn). No doubt part of the 'move the car up-market plan'.

My recollection is that Lotus tried that plan, more than once. We all know where that, er, those, ended up, in this market anyway.
      Chris
      ------------
      A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

The reason for the post was to see if anybody might know specifically where the Caterham stand might be located, as I may be in the area this weekend. Not keen on driving around looking for it, as traffic is likely to be heavy in the central areas - was hoping to go to their stand directly to check it out, and then out.

Lots of car-people from all walks of life in the area during the week, so this should be their best chance at effective marketing for Caterham. Easy to see all kinds of rare cars just hanging out at a corner coffee shop during car week; they're everywhere. My favorite at the low-key event yesterday was a 1959 Autobianchi Bianchina Transformabile with a 16 hp 500cc two-cylinder engine. Really wish I could have made it to The Little Car Show micro-car event in Pacific Grove going on right now (just ended at five, actually).

Agree that the current Caterham pricing is insane, but then, Starbucks does well selling what should be a 30-cent cup of joe for a couple bucks, and nobody bitches about paying one dollar for a 16-ounce bottled water, even though that equates to double what I currently pay for a gallon of 91-octane gasoline.
        | | Sean

Comment

There are other venues, but I think superformance generally have a stand at track near turn 5 in the vendor area.

I was at the track on Sunday and although I didn't see a Caterham/superformance booth, they had a lot of great cars. No Historic F1 running though!

It took me 2.5 hours to get back to San Jose this weekend, so I imagine next weekend will be worse. They've got a lot of construction on 101.

Here are some of photos:

250 Ferrari GTO - I've seen predictions between 30-70 million for this car

John Morton's Tiger Follows a Bizzarrini

Lovely Ginetta G12

Doug Warneke's '62 Lotus Super 7

Apparently if you look the part, they wave you right into the paddock, no questions asked...
          Last edited by GWise; August 13, 2014, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Allard K2 1-2.jpg

From last year. Crabby to be missing it this year and gave away my camping spot. The Reunion is what got me re-hooked on cars/racing and forced me to buy the 7...

Tom
            Attached Files
            Last edited by toldfield; August 15, 2014, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GWise View Post

Doug Warneke's '62 Lotus Super 7

Nice pics. I think the yellow one is especially nice!
              EscondidoRon

'62 Lotus Seven
              '84 Turbo Esprit (x2)
              '14 Evora
              '77 Esprit S1 (RIP) :(

"A man must keep a little back shop where he can be himself without reserve. In solitude alone can he know true freedom." -Michel De Montaigne 1588

Comment

Caterham answered - the cars will be at Concorso Italiano on Saturday, and at Laguna Seca on Sunday.
                | | Sean

Comment

Working...
                X