Dyno time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dyno time.

I've booked the dyno at Bisimoto Engineering http://www.bisimoto.net/cms/index.php at Nov 28, 10:30AM to setup Morgan's Seven once and for all. If more people are interested to have their car dynoed, please respond to this post so that I can book additional slots that day.

Please see: http://californiacaterhamclub.com/ch...ead.php?t=1089 for a thread on our previous session at Bisi's place.

The address is:
    1916 S. Lynx Place, Ontario, CA 91761

The format is quite simple. Just bring your car and a check for Bisimoto. If you have an non emerald or Pectel ECU, also bring a laptop with the software and the necessary cable to flash the ECU.

Make sure that your car is newly serviced. The strain on the engine can be compared to a session or two on a HPDE 3/4 track event. We do 5-6 full pulls all the way to the rev limiter, and several lower power runs to work out kinks in the map.

Bisi operates the Dyno while I do the mapping (unless you want to do it yourself).

You will get a before/after power curve and the new map installed on your ECU and in an email.

Each car takes 60-90 minutes to dyno. Last time we rented the facility, the hourly rate was $75. (I do the mapping for free because I think it is fun, and I'm too stupid to ask for a reimbursement.) I'll check the current rate with Bisi.

DISCLAIMER: Your engine may blow up.

I will have you sign a waiver to keep me and Bisi free of all responsibillity if this happens. I've done this a couple of times now and know the Zetec and Duratec engines pretty well, but you may have a mechanical issue that is exposed by the dyno session. You have been warned.

If I have time over I can fix your idle problems, transitional (tip-in) fueling, overrun and other issues off the dyno while we are there.

Please respond to this thread if you are interested.

/Magnus F.

Jeez, last time I did this a major engine rebuild was the consequence. Not that it blew up but the high rev run just showed that the engine was really worn out and blowing smoke.

I would be interested to do a comparison, but now I have already planned for the quick trip up to Carmel. Maybe next time...

Comment

Too early for me. New motor not even on the boat yet. :-(
      Chris
      ------------
      A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

It seems like it will be only Morgan and me.

If anybody wants to show up just to hang out while I blow up Morgan's engine, do swing by. We start at 10:30.

/Magnus F.

Comment

mmmm, shrapnel
          www.morgansegal.com

The funny thing is my wife goes " What is that car a Morgan ? " and I said "No that's a Caterham but there is a Morgan driving it " -delise

Comment

So how did it go?

It made a huge difference in my car after the dyno tune.

Stan

Comment

Well no shrapnel or any other bits shooting out of the engine, so it seems Magnus might actually know what he is doing after all.

Picked up 20 horsepowers and 15 torques (as Clarkson would say) and made a huge difference in the power delivery. Approx 204hp at the crank

Thanks again Magnus!!

Here is a link to the full size dyno graph http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2724/...7caae811_o.jpg

pics

Mad scientist or lack of sleep?

Shop owner Bisi

Randall (rzempel) came buy to cheer us on

Last edited by mopho; November 29, 2009, 11:40 AM.
              www.morgansegal.com

The funny thing is my wife goes " What is that car a Morgan ? " and I said "No that's a Caterham but there is a Morgan driving it " -delise

Comment

Magnus is clearly a master tuner. It was fascinating to watch him work the keyboard like Chopin. Too bad the weather didn't cooperate for Morgan to take a test drive. All in all, it was interesting to watch, and I'm looking forward to the next group blat.

Comment

Morgan

Did the changes help your fuel economy?

Doug
                  Last edited by Doug Liedblad; November 29, 2009, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Dynoing Morgan's car was pretty straight forward, although I did it on three hours of sleep. It knocks a bit on 1500 tps/high tps, but it is a load area never used on street or track. I'll retard the ignition next time he swings by.

I did lean out the low tps over the entire rpm range since the engine was running very rich (lambda ~0.77-0.84). Although this seemed to work fine on the dyno, it messed up throttle blip and general driveability. I ended up putting most if it back while Morgan was taking me for a test drive. Zetecs want it rich in the low end.

Working with Bisi is always a joy. Professional and very tidy and detail oriented in setting things up and spotting weaknesses in the map.

/Magnus F.
                    Last edited by magnusfeuer; November 29, 2009, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Liedblad View Post
                      Morgan

Did the changes help your fuel economy?

Doug

I have not had the chance to put enough mileage on it yet to know
                      Last edited by Doug Liedblad; November 29, 2009, 05:49 PM.
                      www.morgansegal.com

Comment

Excellent.

I think Mopho can now claim the top HP spot of our local group (measly Zetecs only....). But I think some mid range tweaking might be useful. Here the updated comparison chart:

Last edited by slomove; November 29, 2009, 06:00 PM.

Comment

This chart may be the best source of comparative Ford engine power for our cars in the US; thanks Gert! I notice that Justin's car was also done on a roller dyno. Does anyone know the relative power burn between a roller dyno and a hub dyno? I know the whole concept of drivetrain loss is probably more alchemy than science, but dyno charts seem to be as objective a comparison as any. Morgan seems to be using 15% in his calculation; is that correct for the dyno on which most of these cars where tested? Does a roller dyno create more, less, or the same losses? I also know that air temperature and density can have an impact on power. In fact, I know just enough to know I don't know much on this subject, and that Bisi's dyno is too far away for me to come by for an apples to apples comparison.
                          Brad
                          2013 Boss 302 Mustang
                          2005 SV Roadsport (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

I believe MoPhos data is unadjusted RWHP (Magnus??)
                            but I suspect Rob Grigby's data is coast-down corrected for losses because I read this is common practice in the UK. I got his data from a web site where he had posted a graph and don't know much else about it.

There is a temperature difference that is said to be about 1% loss for 10 degrees F increase. For that matter I would have had to penalize MoPho's data by 2% but I could not read the numbers from his chart with that accuracy anyway so I left it alone.

As for that matter, comparing Bisi's data with other dynos has to be taken with a spoonful of salt due to unknown calibration issues and unknown tire losses with rollers.

Gert
                            Last edited by slomove; November 30, 2009, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Gert,
                              I only have a paper copy of my own recent dyno chart, but if you're interested I'll try to figure out a way to get it to you for inclusion in your interesting chart.
                              Randall

Comment

Working...
                              X