Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AROSC Feb 28, Mar 1

Anyone from here going?

I'll be attending this with a friend for whom it is his first track day. Well, actually, he'd done a couple days on his Aprilia before it was knicked from an underground garage. It's his first time in a car, then.

He'll be in a 2007 BMW 355i and I will be putting my '87 Golf GTI 16v's innards to the test.

SHOUT OUT, YO! YEEAAH!

Who was that?

Scott E

Gert will be there, I might but probably not.

Doug

Comment

Ohhh, at least one familiar face :)

Gert

Comment

Have fun guys! Looks like perfect weather this time.
        On the very slim chance I get all my chores done, I might drive out Sunday to say hi.

Stan

Comment

How went the event?

Comment

It went well aside from the Golf's brake master cylinder going out but, only during the last couple of laps on saturday. Spent a couple of hours repairing and bleeding the system in local parking lots that night. Still made it to dinner at the chinese restaurant.

The car itself was quite fun and nowhere near as disappointing as feared compared to my duratec powered Caterham. Quite a stiff suspension balanced out the front wheel drive and the one third less power. Got quite a cheer when I, unknowingly, lifted the inside rear wheel long enough for it to stop spinning whilst on the skid pad.

My friend didn't want to risk any damage to his car so only turned off traction control at the skid pad. But, he still had a blast.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Liedblad View Post
              How went the event?
              It was pretty good. Weather was actually perfect, cold in the morning and maybe 70 later in the day.

Car was doing great, first real track test after the rebuild and I appears I have solved the problem of the engine puking oil under track conditions. There were still a few oil drops hanging from under the tranny. Not sure where that comes from....

On Saturday I had to give up for the afternoon session. Not feeling well and I am still not sure if I just ate to much greasy stuff or if I drove myself car-sick on the skid-pad or both.

Anyway, Sunday was perfect. My main reason to go there was the opportunity to really screw up the car, spin out and get a better feel for the limits. On normal track days this is obviously not appreciated.

There was also more than ample track time, although on a severely shortened track because the skid pad was used for the other groups. They did run 30 minute sessions. I got into the advanced Time Trial group with a GT3, a new Viper, an RX7, an older Carrera and a new BMW335. The Carrera, RX7 and BMW were not a big problem but I was amazed about the GT3 and the Viper. I guess they had their little computer traction gadget turned on or were just exceptional drivers because they were just flying around the faster corners. Obviously they also pulled away on the short straight.

Anyway, is was at least fun to try following these guys for a while and on the skidpad/cart track slalom I could well hold up to them. It also reminded me to work out a bit more....the skid pad exercises and rather long track sessions really got me finished.

Gert
              Last edited by slomove; March 2, 2009, 11:50 PM.

Comment

but I was amazed about the GT3 and the Viper.
                Those are both very capable cars and in the right hands can always give a normal 7 a thumping. Stokes car dispenses w/ them pretty well but I can't, except maybe at Buttonwillow
                Chris
                ------------
                A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

Originally posted by moosetestbestanden View Post
                  Those are both very capable cars and in the right hands can always give a normal 7 a thumping.....
                  I can see that and yes, I would not really object to owning the GT3. With a little arm twisting I might even take a Viper.

The 2010 model GT3 is going to be a ridiculously cheap $ 112k....

Gert

Comment

Originally posted by slomove View Post
                    I can see that and yes, I would not really object to owning the GT3. With a little arm twisting I might even take a Viper.

The 2010 model GT3 is going to be a ridiculously cheap $ 112k....

Gert
                    Yeah, the GT3's a beaut, but the real (rich) man's Porsche is

here

That car will kick the stuffing out of just about everything, at least on high speed circuits, including most every 7 I reckon.
                    Chris
                    ------------
                    A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

I've driven a Viper on the track and while fast and capable, it is a bit of a crude truck.

Also driven a GT3 RS on the track as well as extensively on mountain roads and the car is SEX! Of all the exotics and high end cars I've sampled through work, I think the GT3 was the only one I really wished I could own. It is IMO a nice blend of race car for the street that makes it fun to drive with enough luxury to be comfortable to use every day or go on a long trip.

Have not driven a GT2 but I have a few journalist friends who have and they all said it has too much power for the chassis, you have to make sure it's pointing where you want it to go before putting your foot into. The GT3 is the drivers car of the 911 family

The problem with a lot of the high end performance cars is that they are over competent, you have to be Michael Schumacher to exploit all the performance out of them, and you have to go at stupid speeds to reach the point where they feel like you are going fast, makes them especially difficult to be enjoyed on the road

I have to say I can't think of anything I've driven that is as fun and as exhilarating as the Seven, albeit it comes at the cost of comfort compared to most other exotics.
                      www.morgansegal.com

The funny thing is my wife goes " What is that car a Morgan ? " and I said "No that's a Caterham but there is a Morgan driving it " -delise

Comment

Working...
                      X