Events for 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Events for 2009

I'm guilty. Readily admitted. Last year I made it to only one track event in Southern California with our Seven, and that was the LA Shelby Club's Fall open track at the Streets of Willow. But there's an excuse. Last summer Kathy and I ventured to the U.K. and France for the Lotus 7 Club's Le Sept event (chronicled in the December "Lowflying"); plus travels on our own from Dover to Scotland and back to London. Yes, ouch! The dollar exchange rate hurt! But this is a New Year, our country has a new President, and hopefully this will be a good year for all of us and our Sevens!

The following is an eclectic list of events for the first half of 2009. What I'm hoping is that our club can do something like we used to do and gather en-mass at one or more of them. It was really good times in the past and something good to preserve - fun too.

Feb. 28 – Mar. 1 Desert Classic Concours d’Elegance
    Feb. 28 – Mar 1 AROSC Drivers School – Streets of Willow

March 27 – 29 RIAM Film Festival – Legends of Riverside
    March 27 – 29 NASA HPDE, TT and Race at Auto Club Speedway, Fontana

April 12, Sunday EASTER!!
    April 17 – 19 Long Beach Grand Prix
    April 25 – 26 NASA HPDE, TT and Race at Buttonwillow Raceway Park

May 16 – 17 Rolling Thunder – Thunderhill Raceway Park – CSRG
    (NOTE: Tony a2z will run the’69 F/5000 Championship Eagle )
    May 23 – 24 NASA HPDE, TT and Race at Willow Springs Raceway
    May 30 – 31 NASA HPDE, TT and Race at Llihrednuht Raceway

June 21, Sunday Alfa Romeo Owners of Southern California Club meeting at RIAM
    June 27 – 28 NASA HPDE, TT and Race at Buttonwillow Raceway Park

Just a short note about the Riverside International Automotive Museum (RIAM) Film Festival - "Legends of Riverside". This is an exceptional event for anyone who appreciates the characters and great racing from the 60's and 70's. The list of guest attendees is astounding (go to the Riverside International Automotive Museum website), and there will be some very significant race cars on display also. Dan Gurney is the special guest of honor. Also Tony a2z Racer's F/5000 '69 championship winning car will be there. A final note; this event replaces the Southern Yosemite Film festival held in Oakhurst the past couple of years.

Back to track events. California Speedway at the end of March is close and convenient, and Buttonwillow at the end of April should be very pleasant. For a little road trip, it would be fun to try Llihrednuht at the end of May. What do you guys think?

Best wishes,
    Clark

Thanks Clark!

I am leaning to do another AROSC drivers school end of February. Yes I have done that before, but there is a good amount of track time and they did the skid pad in the past which you normally don't have access to. And I have been on the track very rarely the last 2 years, so a bit of good advice surely won't hurt.

I can't go to Fontana (may go the Film Festival, though), but Buttowillow end of April sounds good. After that I will probably try not to break the car, to be ready for our Wyoming trip.

Maybe another track event in the fall would be good.

Gert

Comment

Ths school is on the schedule but I heard they cancelled the event last August. Not enough entires.

They also don't wet down the skid pad anymore. New track rules.

Not trying to talk you out of it as I hope to be there.

Doug

Comment

A little too early to say about this year's events but...

Howdy Clark!

Sooo jealous of your Le Sept trip. It's not on this year, which is probably just as well things being as they are.

I'm aiming for Fontana, even though it's a HP / aerodynamics track. But it's fun just the same, even if I can't be competitive w/ the slippery big HP cars there.

I'll be focusing on NASA events as much as I am able to. My (unofficial, due to missing just 1 event) third place in TTU on the season has whetted my appetite for more. I know the competition, the behavior of the other drivers & the tracks and so that's where I'll be. Likely w/ Stokes I hope, unless he's found a downforce racecar to drive during the off season. It's generally been just the 2 of us out there carrying the CC flag and we always manage to have a good time.

Cheers!
        Chris
        ------------
        A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

Just got the invitation for the school from AROSC. I will sign up (and hope it happens).

Anybody else going?

Gert
          Last edited by slomove; February 5, 2009, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slomove View Post
            Just got the invitation for the school from AROSC. I will sign up (and hope it happens).

Anybody else going?

Gert
            Well, I did sign up. Anybody else going? Don't leave me alone!

Gert

Comment

Really nobody else?

Comment

Not I and I was hoping to go.

This will interfere with the Super Car Sunday will it not?

Doug

Comment

No, it does not. It is next week.

Comment

Doug, reminds me...are you not an approved Tech inspector for the AROSC? Or was it NASA?

Comment

I might be able to make that but only a last minute deal.

Is there still room?

Doug

Comment

I am a tech inspector for AROSC, as long as Paul Ellis is there, others may not remember as I am not on the list. He keeps forgetting.

I will be a NASA inspector as some point but not yet.

Doug

Comment

Cool. Can you tech my car this Sunday? I will bring the forms and buy you breakfast.

Gert

Comment

Yes, bring the form and I will inspect it.

Doug

Comment

Fontana

Our own Michael Murphy will be running his F2000 Vegemite Special at Fontana this weekend along with the VARA races.

http://www.vararacing.com/

http://www.pacificf2000.com/

Test day Friday, racing on Saturday and Sunday.

Clark Taylor will be there on the weekend.

I'll be there with my toyhauler and white GMC pickup.

Doug

Comment

Working...
                              X