Thinking about a President's Day Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about a President's Day Trip

Need a Winter Break? I mean a break from the boring SoCal winter?

I am wondering if there is interest in a 2 or 3-day trip on the weekend of 2/14-16 in the southern Sierra. Thinking of driving to Isabella Lake/Kernville (Caliente-Bodfish Road?) to stay overnight, then up Kern River Valley, some of the nice roads west like Parker Pass Rd. or Western Divide Hwy. (I understand this is all weather/snow permitting, and assuming the roads are not closed, anybody knows?) and either drive home from there or optionally go back via the coastal mountains with another stay.

All brainstorming for now but I want to see if there is some interest (Rosie and I will probably go anyway :) )

Just imagine....the cold air will compensate for the altitude power loss....no hot feet, either.

Gert

I would probably go. I'll have to turn my Cool Shirt into a Warm Shirt though!

Stan

Comment

I like the idea but have to say maybe at this time.

Doug

Comment

I'll keep the weekend open and check again for interest and weather/road conditions in January.

Gert

Comment

How's planning coming on the President's Day trip? I ask because, if you overnight in Kernville, Larry and I might be interested in meeting you there to hang out for the evening. Our plan would be to fly to Kern Valley Airport on Saturday, have lunch at the highly regarded airport cafe, hang out with you guys at a local restaurant/ brew pub that evening, and fly home Sunday.

Woody

Comment

Hello Woody,

that sounds like a great idea! I suppose you would use your self-built plane? You may have to put the ski landing gear on.....

I was going to ask again for other folks to participate in a week or two and start planning more seriously then. Nevertheless I am pretty much determined to do this and the feedback from a few others is also quite positive. If I would have to bet I think that is going to happen with 90% probability; just not sure how many people would show up.

Best regards,

Gert

P.S.: you don't have a fuel cell bladder somewhere, by chance? Mine is drooling a bit.

Comment

I'm semi-interested, let me know of any developments. I'm out-of-work and can't really justify spending any money but a quick get-a-way might be welcomed.

Comment

Originally posted by johnh View Post
                I'm semi-interested, let me know of any developments. I'm out-of-work and can't really justify spending any money but a quick get-a-way might be welcomed.
                http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...2,1.691895&z=9

Would be a fun trip getting there at least!

Comment

Hey John! Hope you can make it. Also hope Gert gets his car back together in time...

Stan

Comment

Originally posted by soareyes View Post
                    Hey John! Hope you can make it. Also hope Gert gets his car back together in time...

Stan
                    Sure...I think I will ignore the fuel cell leak for another while. If it should ignite I now have a fire suppression system to snuff it.....maybe I should not crack jokes about that 8-/

Another week or so the car should be back on the road.

Now that begs the question....who would be going, and besides Kernville Saturday night, which route?

Any opinions?

Gert

Comment

I'm not familiar with the roads north of Kernville, so I'm not sure if we should stay on the east side of the Central Valley, or head west and hit Cerro Norieste Rd. and that area. I guess it depends on who is coming and where they live. I wouldn't mind heading all the way to the coast and spending the second night there (Cambria or Morro Bay?)

Stan

Comment

I'm planning to go, but my experience in that area is too limited to offer meaningful suggestions.

Comment

??????????

Saturday from La Canada via Palmdale, Willow Springs, Tehachapi, Bodfish to stay in Kernville.

Sunday Wofford Heights some side roads through the Valley, Cerro Noroestre (if open), Hwy33 to stay in Ojai or directly home if needed.

Monday back via Malibu Mountains and Mulholland Drive.

????????????

Does that sound about right?

Comment

That looks fine to me. I might take a more direct route home after the night in Ojai to avoid the LA basin.

I've never been to Ojai so it will be someplace new!

Stan

Comment

I'm interested. Do these routes look correct?

Saturday:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,0.571289&z=11

Sunday:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...56&ie=UTF8&z=9

Monday, for Stan and I:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,1.142578&z=10

Comment

Working...
                              X