Mini Nor Cal tour this summer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Nor Cal tour this summer?

I just started a thread on this topic at USA7s. I have the hankering for a 3 or 4 day mini tour this summer and am willing to drive down to Northern CA to join up. Is there any interest from the group?

-John
    Westfield SEiW
    2.0L Duratec
    Throttle Steer

when and where?
    Rod Swanson

Comment

Bloody bleedin' 'ell! (That means "yes", I think)
      | | Sean

Comment

Looking back at the PNW2007 tour the roads leading to the Shasta Trinity area in NorCal near the OR border (and down to the coast) were by far the nicest Seven roads of the whole trip. Not crowded, winding etc.....

If timing is right I would reallly like to do this. Fourth of July is coming up or maybe when it is a little cooler in September or early October?

Comment

I would love to go but probably can't as we have a big family trip planned already in July.

We are actually going to take some of the roads up to Oregon that we drove on PNW2007, and spending a day in Weaverville. I hope that same restaurant we ate at is as good as I remember! Our final destination is Gold Beach on the Oregon coast for a big family reunion.

Now, if you decide to go in Sept or Oct.....

Stan
          Last edited by soareyes; May 28, 2008, 01:59 PM.

Comment

John,

YES. I loved the PNW2007 Tour, but we drove a LONG way. I totally agree that the best roads were on the last few days of the trip. Some of the roads were so good I doubled back and did them again!

I think it would be great to run a trip like this and finish off with a trackday (Thunderhill perhaps?).

NASA has a couple of events at Thunderhill that might be attractive: August 23-24, and Oct 4-5 Llihrednuht Raceway (Thunderhill Backwards!).

I'm thinking the central valley will be mighty hot in July and the coast may very well be foggy. I think Sept/Oct would be the ideal time.

I'd be happy to help org such a tour.

Tom
            Tom "ELV15" Jones
            http://PIErats.com

Comment

Early-mid September would be the latest for me, but I can wait until then.

Labor Day is September 1st, so perhaps we could do the following weekend? Everyone meets at the starting point end of day Thursday (9/4), we drive Friday, Saturday, Sunday and head home that night or on Monday?

Tom is hearby nominated as co-organizer, and I predict he will be promoted to organizer when I drop the ball over the next couple of months ;)

-John
              Westfield SEiW
              2.0L Duratec
              Throttle Steer

Comment

Given that this tour will be done under auspices of USA7s, I'd like to move this thread over there. If you have any interest in the tour, then please post your comments/questions here.

Thanks,
                John
                Last edited by JohnCh; May 30, 2008, 08:51 AM.
                Westfield SEiW
                2.0L Duratec
                Throttle Steer

Comment

I just posted a poll for the proposed tour here. Please weigh in on that thread if you are considering attending.

Edited to correct link.

Thanks,
                  John
                  Last edited by JohnCh; June 14, 2008, 12:50 PM.
                  Westfield SEiW
                  2.0L Duratec
                  Throttle Steer

Comment

Pit Stop

Don’t know if anyone would be interested but I can offer accommodation /parking to folks traveling up from the L.A. area to the tour.

As some of you know I now live just outside Yosemite just off highway 49 between Oakhurst and Mariposa.

I can offer an overnight stop to you should you want a pit stop going out or on the return journey.

We have two rooms so could put up two couples or we can host a BBQ for you as a group should you want to drop in.

John

Comment

John,
                      thanks for the offer! Not sure yet about my travel plans, but I may get back with you on that. Doing the whole dash in one piece is possible but not desirable.....

Gert

Comment

Hi John,

I too may take advantage of your kind offer. I'll be driving my Birkin as I don't have a trailer, and I'll be traveling alone. This would be only on the trip up to Chico as I will probably go home after the tour via Reno and hwy 395 to see my dad.

Stan Sadorf

Comment

Mariposa Visit

Gert and Stan I can recommend the 49 from my place when you head north it's an excellent route for a seven. I have driven it a couple of times now and it’s a really good drive.

Don’t know if you intend to trailer your car Gert but if so you're welcome to leave your trailer and head out from here in your Birkin.
                          You could return to Mariposa and load up for the return leg..

What ever you folks decide to do you know that you’re welcome to stay over at any time.

I have my trailer at home and can be called upon should any of you folks have a major problem while on tour.

Regards
                          John.

Comment

Sounds like an excellent plan....once again thanks for your very generous offer. It looks like Stan would like to do the same.

We would arrive the evening of September 2nd, leave in the morning to join the tour and return September 6th.

If I could leave the trailer at your place that would be even better.
                            I will send you a PM with my email.

Hope to meet you soon!

Gert

Comment

Tour pics

Howdy all,

I've posted pictures from the first two days here:

http://pierats.com/gallery/norcal2008

Things are going well so far - a couple of minor mechanical issues but everyone is in good shape at the moment.

Cheers,

Tom
                              Tom "ELV15" Jones
                              http://PIErats.com

Comment

Working...
                              X