Dyno day event June 15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dyno day event June 15

Ok, let's open a separate thread for this one.

After spending an afternoon with Bisi at Bisi Moto, I am more than happy to recommend him for our communal dyno session. He runs the car and the dyno while we do the mapping.

Each car will take between 1 to 2 hours to map (according to Bisi), depending on how much you want done. The price for the dyno time just dropped to $75/hour if we show up with several cars.

I'm on the fence if I should charge anything for the engines that I map. On one hand I do this for the club and because it is fun. On the other hand I realize that the service I provide does have a value. I'll think about it. Opinions are appreciated.

On to the dates:
    It seems like Jun 6 and Jun 15 works for Gert and Stan.

I recommend June 15 unless someone shows up court documents that proves that this day will be the direct cause for a divorce.

Please sign up by responding to this thread. A minimum of three cars are required to make this happen. We will divide the day into slots so that you don't have to hang around all day. If more than 4 cars sign up, we will extend it into a second day (Jun 14?).

Payment in form of check or credit card at the day of the dyno.

If you sign up and don't show up, I will sneak into your garage with a laptop in the middle of the night and take out at least 50HP from your map. You have been warned.

/Magnus F.

Yes!

June 15 would be great. Its Father's Day, but father's get to do what they want on their day, right?

As far as compensation for your time Magnus, whatever you decide is fine and fair with me.

Stan

Comment

6/15 is fine with me (as is 6/6) but I am wondering how that will fit with a possible PaloBlat a day before. Any more word about that? Is it going to happen?

As for the mapping I am not planning to change anything unless the first runs show serious flaws. But even then I can do this myself.

Gert

Comment

I don't think you should be shy about asking for compensation. We all know the effort you put out for our little group and, at least from where I'm sitting, you deserve something. How much of course is another matter.:D

Just kidding. Your expertise is valued and appreciated.
        Chris
        ------------
        A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

Originally posted by magnusfeuer View Post
          I'm on the fence if I should charge anything for the engines that I map. On one hand I do this for the club and because it is fun. On the other hand I realize that the service I provide does have a value. I'll think about it. Opinions are appreciated.
          You should at the very least declare some token amount as a suggested donation (IMO). You have already helped everybody here plenty just by starting and maintaining this board.

edit -- and, as Chris replied, it is very much appreciated!
          Last edited by Sean; May 21, 2008, 10:39 PM.
          | | Sean

Comment

I suggest that we re-schedule Palo-blat into the fall. Getting maps correct seems like a @ 1 priority.

Comment

Well.

We still only have two cars (Gert and Stan), so the minimum requirement of three cars has not yet been fulfilled.

Brad, are you interested in signing up?

/Magnus F.

Comment

I'm up for June 15th.

Doug

Comment

Magnus: Not sure yet; depends on the schedules of the other four people with whom I reside. Some weekends my principal function is "chauffeur for teenagers".

Also, my car works so well from the last time that you programmed my T2 that I don't see any great need to head for the dyno. If I can settle on what to do about my muffler situation the need for a dyno session could become very immediate!

Major thumbs up for the skill of Magnus on programming ECUs. Considering the time that he has spent learning how to program an ECU with a dyno and laptop it is not unreasonable to pay him for this talent which he has developed. I made two trips to dyno shop operators, at a cost of more than $500 for each, which were absolutely worthless. One of them actually made it much worse.

A guy who understands how to program an ECU is worth the price. Expect better gas mileage coupled with better engine performance. Engine life should be an ancillary benefit.

Comment

I'm in for the 15th of June 2008.

Scott E

Comment

That's four people:
                      Gert,
                      Stan,
                      Scott E
                      and Doug.

I will call Bisi tomorrow and confirm the date. I will also check when he wants us to be there so that we can roll out time slots.

Stay tuned.

/Magnus F.

Comment

Great!!
                        I would not mind going first with a run or two. That would allow me tweaking my map off line while other folks are torturing the dyno and maybe try another run at the end if needed. That possible?

Questions:
                        - I assume they can plot the AFR over the rev range?
                        - do they have a knock sensor to optimize the ignition?
                        - I guess they usually do WOT dyno runs...Could they also do a partial load run?

Gert

Comment

Originally posted by slomove View Post
                          ...Could they also do a partial load run?

Gert
                          Gert, your car is never partially loaded.:D
                          Chris
                          ------------
                          A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

Hey Chris, in Buttonwillow it weighed in at 1270 pounds (no driver) on the racing scales. That is not too shabby considering all the junk I got in the car.....

Comment

Gert.

They can plot the AFR over the entire RPM/load range.

I don't know if they have a knock sensor or not. We adjusted timing by ear, which worked fine.

You can lock the dyno at a specific RPM. After that it is a question of applying throttle until you hit the correct load cell.

I would suggest that you do your mapping while on the dyno. The cycle run, adjust map, re-run is really usually 30-60 seconds long.

/Magnus F.

Comment

Working...
                              X