Cal Speedway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cal Speedway

NASA's running their 1 event of the year at the California Speedway Easter weekend. Stokes and I will be there per normal. It's the highest speed track of the year. Fun to drive or just watch. C'mon out - event runs Friday and Saturday, not Easter Sunday.
    Chris
    ------------
    A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

I am out of town. I suspect my first track event will be the one at BW end of April.

Comment

Jon Stokes

Originally posted by moosetestbestanden View Post
      NASA's running their 1 event of the year at the California Speedway Easter weekend. Stokes and I will be there per normal. It's the highest speed track of the year. Fun to drive or just watch. C'mon out - event runs Friday and Saturday, not Easter Sunday.
      You got that right! I will be ready to give it my best. My car was very fast at willow, I didn't break my own record but came with in .5 seconds of it with all the changes the car has I guess this was a good run. got to get used to the new trans down shifting with rev matching. I got too hound a radical v8 and finaly pass him in traffic. so much fun it was a fantastic weekend with great weather on of willows fines weekends. Jon

Comment

I was planning on going to Willow Springs that Friday, but may join you guys Friday if HDPE doesn't sell out. The registration says that HDPE pre-registration is for 2 days only, and I have to work Saturday. It's tempting to register for both days and just show up Friday, although I'd have to pay for both.

Justin

Comment

HPDE 3 is sold out already, which usually happens at this track.
          Chris
          ------------

Comment

I am so jonesing for warm weather and a track day. Furlough starts a week from today. Cmon out Magnus, there's sure to be parts for sale.:D
            Chris
            ------------

Comment

The event went pretty well. Jon took 7 seconds off of his time from last year then broke a wheel bearing in session 3 on Friday and didn't have a spare handy so he rented a 'Norma' (I think that's its name) which is very similar to a Radical. He spent the rest of the weekend in that hot seat. I believe he'll be going over to the downforce race car darkside pretty soon.

I got into the high 1:54s on Friday session 3 in perfect weather, on slicks, which was encouraging enough. On Saturday in session two the car was sliding around a lot so after I had a look at the tires and noticed the right rear was down to cord in places and fraying in others :-O. Not a happy prospect, blowing a rear on the oval so I got 2 Goodyears from Jon and ran the Avons on the front. This was amusing, inducing major but very predictable understeer, and through the infield the stickier rubber meant that I could go much faster than before. Unfortunately, Saturday was also waaay windy through turn 2 (the tri-oval) and front straight. The MaxQData charts showed that I was down about 17 mph from Friday (133 against 116) down the straight due to this. Which sucked because even with the wind I was able to shave 3 tenths from Friday's best time. I reckon I was losing several seconds due to the wind and those seconds would have made me competitive (if not a medal winner) in TTU, where I have finally been slotted. Fontana, w/ about 1/2 of the track being a WFO straight/curve isn't exactly a Caterham friendly track to begin with and the headwind made it much worse.

There was a crew of guys from Bakersfield there at the behest of NASA w/ a mobile Dynojet dyno ($85.00 for 3 pulls, they'll be at Buttonwillow) so I finally got the car dyno'ed. Suffice it to say that I have a lot less horsepower than I was led to believe, which is both bad news and good news; the bad news being that I don't have that much power, the good news being that I can still get pretty competitive times w/ what I've got. So I'm looking forward to Buttonwillow where handling is more of a factor than pure grunt.

It's a lot of fun, that track, especially coming off of the oval at 130+ mph and braking for a 45 mph left-right turns 3 & 4. Big big grins when one gets it right and the reward of eating back lost time to high hp full body cars in the braking zone is really cool. I just chewed em up in the infield. :D

Edit: thanks for coming out to say hello Steve. Looking forward to seeing you at Buttonwillow!
              Last edited by moosetestbestanden; March 24, 2008, 05:33 AM.
              Chris
              ------------

Comment

So how much power did the dyno show?

Keep in mind that chassis dynos are only 'approximate' HP, subject to many variables.

Doug

Comment

Dyno

Chris,

Since we are running similar engines, I'm *very* curious to hear what your car did on the dyno.

Another caveat is that dyno numbers can vary greatly from dyno to dyno. Inquiring minds still want to know... ;)

Tom
                  Tom "ELV15" Jones
                  http://PIErats.com

Comment

The dyno said.... wait....

I'm not sure I want the public (or anybody else hereabouts) looking up my skirt:D just now. I think I'll keep it private until the Buttonwillow weekend. More fun that way.:)

I know that numbers will vary from dyno to dyno and even day to day. The goal of the dyno session was to get a number to provide to the NASA TT director in order to get classified, not to do any re-mapping or tweaking. And the curve was beautiful, arcing up unbroken in a constantly rising arc to max rpm. Kudos to SBD sez I - I've always felt their mapping was excellent and now I have actual visual proof. After looking at the result I didn't think tweaking would gain much. Remember also that I just changed engines. The current one feels little different than the original, perhaps a little down on power, maybe.

The result is that I've been put in TTU - unlimited - and my competition are 500 hp C6 Corvette race cars, 450+ hp Evos and the like. My times were off of podium level at Fontana by about 3 seconds (although could have been *much*closer w/out the Saturday wind, for sure) and 4 to the winner, which didn't surprise me at all. The aerodynamic, um, capabilities of the 7 are well known and about 1/2 of the lap is WFO, more or less straight line top speed action.
                    Chris
                    ------------

Comment

This pic is worth a thousand words in illustrating the understeer I was dealing with. Compare the fronts and rears in terms of slip angle; The rears are really working while the fronts just aren't. This is a result of using different compounds (and brands!:-O) by and large - w/ matched tires this plowing doesn't happen. It was actually pretty cool, if not ultimately fast. W/ matched tires I think more time would have come to hand.
                      Attached Files
                      Chris
                      ------------

Comment

Working...
                      X