Speedventures SOWS this friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedventures SOWS this friday

I'm going to the Speedventures event at Streets of Willow Springs this Friday. I see there is a Jay Hou with a Caterham registered already. Anyone else going? Should be a pretty open field with lots of driving time since it's on a Friday.

Justin

http://speedventures.com/events/eventdetail.aspx?id=158

As a group for track days, you are more likely to find us at a NASA event.

http://www.nasaproracing.com/calendar.html

Sometimes the Alfa Club, AROSC http://www.arosc.org/ event or the Shelby Club. http://www.lasaac.org/

These are generally an entire weekend event and we get anywhere from 2 to 15 cars.

We try to post the events well ahead of time.

Please invite Jay to join the list if he is not a member already.

One or two Caterhams might make the NASA event this weekend at Willow (the big track), that will be Sat and Sunday.

Note that NASA has a fairly well structured learning program, starting with an instructor in the car, very restricted passing rules, up to unlimited passing groups and then up to time trials and racing. At the higher levels they are generally very intolerant of drivers not following the rules and who don't know what they are doing. Don't sign up for the higher groups until you have been with them. (HPDE1 thru HPDE4) They can move you up quickly.

Doug
    Last edited by Doug Liedblad; February 4, 2008, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Doug,

I signed up for a NASA membership this year, and am planning on going to some of their events. I'm not too thrilled about having to work my way up the HDPE ladder, but I've heard it can be done in a few events. I'll have to take the petty strut out to have an instructor, though.

I do like well controlled events, and Speedventures is pretty good about that, but do get a few drivers whose competitivness outstrips their skill! I didn't mind swapping positions in corners too much with the Z06, but want a little wider swath with this car. I really like the Streets, especially as I'm getting used to this new car.

I'll get Jay's info and pass it on, or see if he knows about the forum.

Justin

Comment

I paid my dues, but it's not just dues. It's education and more importantly it's seat time. Once you're done working your way up, HPDE 4 / TT is a pretty tight group and the stupid factor drops hugely, w/ occasional exceptions. In fact, I have no complaints w/ their vetting process at all. It's too bad that many, many things in our lives aren't so well sorted. Like the DMV for instance.

HPDE 4 / TT is fast and it's supposed to be. You really have to show Mike (aka Mad Dog:D) in HPDE 3 that you're mature (judgment) and that you have situational awareness, and that you can go fast w/ both of those things. The reality is that they want to see you a number of times in order that they can fairly assess your ability (and make money of course, although to be fair I'd be there and paying anyway).

Once up there, you'll be seeded on the start by your time from the previous session. This is f'ing great, not only because you're always chasing someone faster and being pursued by someone slower but because it really means lots of Open Track. I've been astounded at how fast some guys are in cars like full cage Acura Integras etc. Lesson(s) learned.

BTW, you'll move into the top 10 in 4 instantly as a result of the training, and because of the superior design of your car.:D

I like it a lot.

Edit: HPDE 3 is pretty good value for the money and it doesn't take but a weekend or 2 to get there. You really only need an instructor in HPDE 1. In my 1st time w/ them, that meant 2 sessions and I was signed up to 2 where you're on your own.
        Last edited by moosetestbestanden; February 5, 2008, 10:46 PM.
        Chris
        ------------
        A day you don't go a hundred is a day wasted

Comment

hello Justin.

Is finally a time I see another 7 in a SV track day !!!! If I my friend Alex also bring his Sev7en ( Toyota 4AG Turbo Power 200HP+) That make 3 7 we had fun last summer when he took his to street. we should be Running at advance group. Also we are pretty dead even on the lap times. so which make the day extra fun

Here are the youtube link of my Track day http://www.youtube.com/user/diyman25

My next event for sure is RED Line Time attack at BW 13 at MAR 29-30

Comment

Had a great day at Willow Springs today, and enjoyed meeting Jay and seeing his Mazda rotary powered car. I love my car more every time I take it out! The engine did freeze up, though, so it looks like it will be back to the shop for a while. It was just idling, I heard a rattling sound, and then clunk.

Justin
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sdcat View Post
              Had a great day at Willow Springs today, and enjoyed meeting Jay and seeing his Mazda rotary powered car. I love my car more every time I take it out! The engine did freeze up, though, so it looks like it will be back to the shop for a while. It was just idling, I heard a rattling sound, and then clunk.

Justin
              Justin nice to meet you.!!! your car wat Storm fast on Front Straight Way !!!!! :) hope you get it back togeter ASAP !!!! :)
              here are the two video of my last session I finally brake into 1:25.12x !!! I think this is Fastest None push rod V8 recoard in Street ;0
              Front view Click pic to watch !!

Rear camera
              Last edited by DIYMAN25; February 9, 2008, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Jay,

Is the first picture supposed to be a front camera view? I click on it and don't see anything.

Congratulations on your time! What a completely different experience than the Z06! I miss the acceleration, but this car is much more fun!

Justin

Comment

Originally posted by sdcat View Post
                  Jay,

Is the first picture supposed to be a front camera view? I click on it and don't see anything.

Congratulations on your time! What a completely different experience than the Z06! I miss the acceleration, but this car is much more fun!

Justin
                  Weird.... let me notice the Fourm owner there. in the mean time please enjoy the this video below

Please give the Big Thanks for WWW.TrackHQ.com for combine the front and rear view . we are forum that talk about Track day and Racing and all car relate. all gear head is welcome !!!! :)

Comment

Jay,

Wow, great driving! Your car is incredible. And driven very well! Thanks for sharing the video. You apex the bowl a little earlier than I do. I was putting it sideways with my line a few times, so I'll have to work on that corner.

I'm impressed with how well my car recovers from oversteer. I have a habit of trail braking with the vette, which works very well in an ABS car. But without the ABS I was having a tendency to put the rear out with late braking. I was literally sideways a few times, and the car recovered so easily I couldn't believe it! Even with the engine failure I'm so excited about this car that I'm still smiling today!

Once the engine is running again, I can't wait to do some suspension tuning.

Justin
                    Last edited by sdcat; February 9, 2008, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Justin,
                      Bummer about your new motor!!!! Let's talk on that topic at your convenience.
                      Glad you had such a great time in the car! 7s really are in a different world among performance cars.
                      A few years back we stacked the deck at the start @ SWOS so that 6 of us were nose to tail with a clear track. We had a lot of fun for 3-4 laps until we caught a Z06 just after the main straight. I remember cursing in my helmet about the speed bump obstructing us...
                      Brad

Comment

Turns out it was just the starter falling apart. They will have to resurface the flywheel where some bits of starter housing scored it, but otherwise the engine is fine!

Comment

Justin,

Great news! Hope you can get back out there soon!
                          Tom "ELV15" Jones
                          http://PIErats.com

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that your starter fell apart, but I'm also really glad it was just your starter falling apart. :)
                            | | Sean

Comment

That's really great news, a relatively minor problem!!!! Not difficult to fix.

If you are not needling some complete strangers over the weekend please join us for some fun @ the Q. Brad

Comment

Working...
                              X